Thursday, August 6, 2020

Blistering Night

Yeah, I have those nights that I am suppose to precept a new registered nurse orientee. And it was a lot of work. Imagine yourself going to the basics and your work clock went into a slow pace. It's blistering isn't it? I have the preceptee for three days and so far she is more dependable. She picks up easily and ask questions when she needs to. Her assessments were quite impeccable but still needs just a little bit of thoroughness. But I mean, she's already there. I guess I have trained her real fast. I only hav eher for 2 weeks but she's already been doing a lot. Her med pass was quite slow but she is at a good start. I told her to be slow but sure rather than making med errors. I showed her some hints in passing like how to crush crushable meds, how to manage her time, how to cluster care without altering the patients sleep, how to make and follow-up orders, how to do a make believe admissions in a training session (we have no chance yet to do admissions, but oh well believe me we will), ho wto call the house MD, how to call primary MD or consults for any changes in condition, how to chart for restraints and resplenishing the order, how to do chart checks, how to check for cardiac strips or rhythm if telemetry is ordered, toured her around the facility, did the scavenger hunt in the purchasing office, how to check the patency of enteral tubes, hang the new feeding bag and tubing, how to draw ordered iStat labs, and many more things she needed to learn before she can be on her own. I mean I already trained two new RN orientees so far and their fairing well on their own. Danni was seen more confident and I have heard about Aron doing an excellent job for admission. I have not seen Aron yet becaus ehe works per diem but I knew exactly from the start that he is a smart nurse. Going back to my busy night..... oh well one of my patient is a little anxious and was trying to decannulate himself, but I doubt it if he can do it becaus ehe appears very weak. I just gave him some IVP pain medication and he will go back to sleep. He is kinda feisty at times as well. Well..... so much hoopla for my blistering night... it's almost over and I'm close to the finish line. I am glad that I have survived or shall I say we had survived. It was one of those night that had many challenges but we solved it. T'was a night full of learning process indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment