Thursday, February 20, 2014

Ice Queen Yuna Kim Dethroned

I haven't watched the Olympics Ladies Figure Skating yet because I am at work right now. I had it recorded in my DVR from NBC Channel 220 and I will intend to watch it tonight when I get home because I am off tonight. I was devastated to hear and know that my favorite skater Yuna Kim of South Korea was dethroned by an unknown Russian figure skater debutting for this year's Olympics.

I have read from the news that the decisions was controversial and that the judges were not that impartial considering that the Olympics was being held in Russia and that the Iceberg Skating Rink was teeming with Russians cheering for the Russian skater of course. They say that the judgment was rigged in favor of the Russian skater. I pity Yuna for she was the victim of this biased judging in the ladies' skating programs. I think they need to renew the judging system for a more transparent judging decisions and have the result posted rather that keeping it confidential because tongues will wag and people will clamor. It's always been an issue even in the pasts and the skating federation was been marred with some controversies in the pasts.

Yuna is a very elegant ice skater and she can put you into a trance everytime she skates. I was rooting for her to carry on with her legacy before she retires but because of the unfair judging system in the ladies' figure skating contest in the Olympics she was been a hapless and unwilling victim by it. Despite of what had happened people were complaining that it was manipulated by the Russian judges despite of the Russian skater who tripped. And that the Korean girl had skated with feelings, artistry, and soulful emotions bringing her audience to absorbed her story and a new fantasy. They say she really skated well without any mistakes and with superb techniques gliding on the ice enthralling the audience. Unlike the Russian skater who fell once, used a wrong edge of the skate, and delivered a not so par program exhibition. It was really devastating to know about it.

Despite of what had happened Yuna did not defended her quest for a back-to-back gold and went home only with a silver medal. She was calm and quiet aboutthe result and I heard her skating union had filed complaints already to IOC. Despite of what had happened her legacy of being the ice queen will stay forever in my heart and her fans. I am just disappointed of what the corrupt Russian had done for this sports. I will be seeing the video tonight and will scrutinize what really had happened. Thank God I recorded it in my DVR. If the judging was rigged and manipulated then shame on the International Skating Union for allowing it and to the host nation Russia for tainting the popularity of the sport. This will be the olympics that cannot be forgotten because of this controversy.

Indeed, Adelina Sosnitkova went home with the gold, Yuna Kim for the silver medal, and Carlina Kostner for the bronze medal but the real question still remains if it is a valid judging decision. Not knowing of the transparency of the judgment results will entail a lot of maddening scrutiny of the public. Needless to say, tongues will be wagging excessively around the world and the reputation of the ISU and IOC will be under the microscope again despite it was been heavily damaged many times in the past. Whether a damage control will be done or not maybe it will be too late now that the results were made and the criticisms were been spilled and broken into the public eye. It was a very controversial day today in Sochi I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment