Monday, January 6, 2014

Oh-Oh Not Quite A Good Start

It was a cold night outside and the fogs were already settling down the grounds casting some misty and crystal dews on the front and rear windshield of my car. I am here now at work, on my last day of work for this week, and tomorrow will be the start of my four day's off. Can't wait for the night to be over with and then resume for my exercise program tomorrow. I took today as my rest day and allowed some time for my body to recover from the sore.

So far my night was been quiet and maddeningly resolved. I didn't have that much trouble and not even a minor issues or complaints. Everything was just perfect. The whole building was so eerily quiet making me quite a little uneasy and bored but I still have a lot of things to reckon with. I am trying to make myself busy despite of the threat of the youthfulness of the night. The night is still young and I guess there's still enough room for some drastic changes, knock on the wood. And I am hoping there will be none. So bless me Lord.

I was on my fifth hour of work when the new set of certified nursing assistants just came in and changed the shift. It was a smooth change and an hour later one of the nursing assistant approached me on the nurse's station and told me discreetly that she was not feeling good. She says she felt dizzy and had vomitted earlier. She hasn't started her first rounds yet because she was just sitting at one of the corner trying to nurse her retchings. Judging by her pale and harassed appearance I can see that she is not feeling good.

I immediately paged the rest of the certified nursing assistants and heralded them the bad news. In as much as I don't want to do it I have to honestly tell them that I have to divide the other assignments and evenly distribute it to them while I am trying to look for a replacement. If I got lucky the assignment will be saved but for the meantime I needed to split the assignment so that the patients will not be neglected had they called for help or assistance.

I hate this late incident to happen especially on the wee hours of the morning. It is very frustrating and upsetting but I know it is inevitable unless it was intentionally done or dramatized. But I don't think so! With what I have observed with the concerned individual she was really sick. So in order to be safe, I have to send her home to get her much needed rest rather than gamble for some issues or injuries to happen if I opted to have her stay.

Although it entails more assignments for the remaining nursing assistants I have to make a prudent decision and my decision to send off the involved person home was just wise enough, I guess. I am so thankful that the remaining nursing assistants were just too understanding and didn't made any major fuss.

I know they were a little bit upset but they were professional enough to maturely understand. I am so blessed to have these set of mature people as a co-worker and as an effective working team. It really fattens my heart when I knew they will resolve the dilemma as a group. I told them I owe them one and I assured them that I will help them in case they needed some muscle and as a responsible supervisor I have to be there to support and help them.

I tried calling several people to come and cover but my efforts were futile and apparently it is wee morning hours and it is really difficult to callm and get one. I left some messages but didn't have any valid responses at all but I am still praying and hopeful for an angel to save the night for us. Just a wishful thinking but still immensely hopeful. Anyways, I am on guard just in case my most valued assistance is needed as what I assured the guys.

The night is still young and I am still waiting here at the nurse's station for that most priced call. So far it was a calm and quiet night and it is still a long night to reckon with. Hopefully, we will survive it and get free from the burden of this inevitably upsetting dilemma. Oh how I wish time will be fast forward and then voila the night is magnificently over!

No comments:

Post a Comment