Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Teribbly Horrifying Feat

Well.... I had a very horrifying experience earlier before I went to work tonight. That was the first that I have experienced and it sucks to know that I couldn't do anything about it when it happened. I was totally helpless at that time. It was a nightmare which I don't want to dream again. I thought I couldn't get away from it and thank God it was already resolved. My body was trembling and I was nervously wrecked at the time it happened. I was totally shaken by the situation.

Today was the longest day of my life, maybe..... I started off with my clinicals at Los Angeles Community Hospital with my second group from Medical Allied Career Center. It was their first day actually because they have to switch with the other group. Our first day went well actually. They were buddied up with each other and took care of five patients in the Acute Care Unit. At least they were very receptive and did all their care. I was glad I just need to supervise them and helped them quite a bit during the med pass. Well done guys!

Then in the afternoon we did the post-conference at the hospital's conference room and I covered them how to make a drug study, deviced an individualized care plans, solved complex medication math problems, reviewed the facts and guidelines about G-tube feedings which they have to use and take care for this rotation, assessed how they are in doing the patient's physical assessments, and also reviewed some of the internal policies and guidelines of the hospital to them. It went very well.

I went home tired at 1500H and went to sleep because I have to work tonight. My uninterrupted sleep had made me recoup all the lost energy I've had and I woke up fully recharged and feeling fresh. When I woke up at 1830H I then ironed my scrubs and took a refreshingly warm shower. It was already dark when I left the house, heralding the coming of Fall season.

I tried to locate my car which was parked on the street just in front of my apartment. It was already 1915H and I was already late at work. I jitterily inserted the key at the ignition and then I've heard an unrecognizable click and had noticed that my car won't start. I tried to turn off the ignition and started the car again but still I heard the same clicking sound that I've alarmedly heard earlier. On the dash board it shows that the engine and the battery were lighted on, telling me that there was a problem on both. I got scared that there is something wrong with my car.

I was terrified and I don't know what to do. I initially panicked but then I gradually picked up my composure and calmed down myself trying to think on what to do initially. First thing I thought of Julio, my landlord, who usually helped me when it comes to problems like this. I checked the house and apparently it appeared that there was nobody there. It was dark inside. Julio's truck is not either in the driveway, where he used to park. Then suddenly, he and Joaquin, the boyfriend, showed up at the street driving the truck, I think they just went out, and he asked me what happened. I told him about my abrupt dilemma and then I called my work alerting them what had happened and that I will be late.

I then called triple A, a company I am affiliated as a member who always gives assistance to car owners who have trouble on the road and about their cars, and asked for an immediate assistance. The lady on the other line was very kind and nice to help me and she instructed me on what to do and to wait for the assistance or help to come in less than an hour. Julio stayed with me trying to pacify me because I was panicking and quite nervous at that time, thinking that the car engine was probably at fault, thereby I have to prepare more money for the repair. I can't blame myself worrying and anticipating what will happen because I was in a lot of situations pouring money for the repair of this car. I mean it was massively expensive......

Thirty minutes later my rescue from triple A came and assessed my car. He connected this and that, tapped my engine to check it, tested the beam light and the aircondition inside the car which were all working well. He then assessed the battery and determined after that, that the battery was eventually dead and needed to be ultimately replaced. I told Robert, that's his name according to him when I asked him about his name. He told me that he can replace it and he will charge me for the cost, which was very costly, but what could I do, I needed it that time in order for me to leave and show up to work.

I then called my work to update them about the progress then I waited until Robert had installed the new battery fully. Then I breathed so well now because all my anticipating questions earlier was totally not valid and was proven inadequate. Haist..... thank God. It was a relief knowing that the engine was not affected or damaged. But honestly, I was totally freaked out about the idea. I had just spend a lot of money for the new special rim that was just installed because it caused my tire to be flat all the time and now this new problem had come up again. I almost fainted but thank God I didn't.

When Robert had installed the new battery I thanked him for coming over and for fixing my car. I then called my work telling them that I am coming in a few minutes. The car was doing well while I was slowly driving to work. There were no issues about it on my way. Thank God!

I hope this situation will not be repeated again. I have to be sure that everything is in order. This experience had given me some insight about what to do when I got caught with something that will render me helpless and inert. I don't want to experience it again because it had affected me so much, making me worry of things that aren't suppose to be worrying about. I mean it's natural to worry on those but the stress or burden is unbearable. Hopefully things will be great tomorrow. (Crossing my fingers). Great lesson for this day that I don't want to happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment