Friday, March 15, 2013

The Working Beggar

I've been teaching everyday at school and I have to wake up early in the morning to beat the early morning Los Angeles traffic. I have to drive for 40 miles from my apartment going south to Torrance and I do this every day of my life. Sometimes the traffic is okay and there are times that the traffic is really crowded. But I have no question about it because I love my job and I love doing it everyday.

Every morning I saw this guy along Normandie and Lomita standing at the middle island of Lomita Avenue dressed in paupery clothes. I assume he woke up early in the morning to go to work. He work as a beggar begging for alms at that very strategic area in Torrance where traffic were always crowded. I always saw him everyday doing that. I was really thinking deeply that maybe this guy was really working permanently there everyday begging people for money.

I don't know if he has mental or behavioral problems but it seems that he looks fine and normal to me. He appears to be a middle-aged person maybe on his late 40's. With white peppery hair, mustache, and beard. He kind of having a similarity with the 1980's singer Kenny Rogers. He looks professional on what he does and I sometimes smile everytime I saw him.

Here comes this guy who always woke up early in the morning and be on the streets at around 0700H at that spot where I always saw him. I mean this guy had took begging as his career and he appears very harworking and professional about it. I admired his courage to do that everyday of his life. If it happened to me I will be probably ashamed of myself but this guy has really a strong guts to do it. I am really tongue-tied but I have to accept the fact that it is really happening.

Well, I maybe very skeptical about it but you can see his determination and dedication in doing the peddling job everyday. I mean he is just a guy who is very devoted on what he does no matter what it is and he has his own strengths and weakpoints sometimes. I admire him because he made his weakness into a positive tool or asset rather than stealing food or money or eventually may loss his life because of the unlawful behavior he does. I might be very pessimistic about it but that's just me.

Well, there are some people who are just content about the simplicity of life and I think this person was just contented of what he has. I maybe over thinking it but I think he is helpless at this time because he might not finish or gone to school to educate himself and get a more decent job afterwards.

There might be other reasons why he did it and to me I am not blogging about him being lazy and was just contented of peddling and begging but I am blogging because he is very dedicated in working everyday, waking up early in the morning to go to the place and do what he wants to do. It's just that fiery dedication that really captured me and I am very observant about it judging that I saw him there everyday at the same spot and at the same time of the day. It was very interesting to me.

So that's why I have blogged about it and had shared it with you. Hope you all like the blog and I will keep you updated about him in my future blogs. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment