Saturday, December 29, 2012

Watching Les Miserables

Last Wednesday, December 26, 2012, I got bored for staying at home so I decided to go to Torrance to pick up my pay check from school. It was about 1600H when I left the apartment after I did all my laundry during the morning. I was kind of adamant in going to Torrance because of the long drive plus the traffic on Freeway 110 is killing me softly but I decided to go anyway.

The traffic was not that bad at all because probably of the holiday wherein people were still having some hangover from the Christmas festivities the previous day. It only took me thirty minutes to get there compared to the usual two hours drive when there is a heavy and congested Los Angeles rush hour traffic. It was not so thick and crowded at all during that time compared to the usual rush hour throng.

When I arrived at the school it was kind of odd because it was quiet and peaceful. I was kind of accustomed to the noisy environment there but to my surprise it was the opposite. I was greeted by the polite receptionist and I happily returned the favor at her. I then went in the nursing office and talked a little bit with the secretary who candidly handed me my paycheck. I stayed there for a little bit and mingle with the office staff then I left after thirty minutes thinking where to hang out for a moment just to past the time.

I dreaded the thought of the traffic going back home to Hollywood so I decided to just stay in Torrance for quite sometime. I decided to watch a movie but I had no definite idea what to watch yet. When I got to the Rolling Hills Shopping Center I had a hard time looking for a parking spot because it was packed. Eventually I found a spot but it was quite far from the theater. I walked a little bit towards the theater.

When I arrived at the theater I started to choose what to watch choosing the one that was almost close to start at that time. I decided to chose "Les Miserables" because it will be starting for less than five minutes and besides I've heard the review from Yahoo that it was very good.

I bought one ticket and hurried myself to go inside the amphitheater because it had already started. When I arrived inside the theater I saw that it was quite packed and there were no available seats. I ascended upstairs and spotted a vacant chair near a middle aged woman so I went directly to the chair and sat on it without even asking from the woman if it was taken or not.

After I sat on the chair the woman squirmed and panickly pat me on my side telling me that her son, who was picking up some theater treats, was sitting there. That's what I got for not asking politely. I stood up immediately feeling guilty and embarrassed at the same time and descended in a blushed face downstairs of the amphitheater. On the second level I spotted another vacant seat and then I stopped at the edge and asked kindly if it was taken or not. The lady sitting beside the chair that I've asked took her purse and then said that it was open. I then went inside the row and sat on the available chair.

Five minutes after I sat on the seat, the trailer started and then followed by the movie. The movie started with a prologue wherein thousands of French prisoners where pulling the galleon ship wrecked by the storm in the ocean towards the harbor and a very thin Jan Valjean portrayed by the skinny and bearded Hugh Jackman was been interrogated by Javert and given his parole papers.

Then the story continued on after that. After Jan Valjean got free he went to a very far place and lived as a noble man. I don't have to explain the whole plot here or else it will ruin your purpose of watching it. I love Ann Hathaway though portraying the hapless Fantine. It was a very believale portrayal of the latter's role. I also like the role of Javert portrayed by the Aussie actor Russel Crowe. He sings well too but I like Hugh Jackman singing as Jan Valjean. It was also believable and cut to the heart. No wonder why he and Ann were nominated in the Golden Globe award for a best actor and best supporting actress for the movie respectively.

I was frustrated with Samantha Barks who portrayed the role of rebellious Eponine. Although she had portrayed the role in the 25th year tour of the play still I can't feel her sincerity and gentleness in playing the role. I felt that there was no acting at all. I still like Lea Salonga singing and portraying the role yet to this time she is too old for the role probably but to me she is the best Eponine I have ever heard singing!

The role of Cosette played by the beautiful Amanda Seyfried was not that par also but it was just ok. The role of Marius played by Eddie Redmayne was very good although I don't like his freckles on his face but he has his chops for singing the touching song "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables". The role of Enjolras portrayed by an unknown actor was also believable and I love his curly blonde hair. Sascha Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter had also made a cameo as the usurping bar host and hostess respectively.

The story was very sad and very different from the play that I have seen before. The movie was very believable and had really gave me a full grasp of the realities that really happened circa 1820s on the streets of Paris, France. I cried and sobbed quietly on my seat trying not to get noticed by my seatmates and the audience.

After the movie I reflected a lot about it and gave it a rewarding two thumbs up. People were clapping their hands after the acknowledgements from the screen were posted. It was a very excellent movie and I really really recommend it for every body to see, watch, and have a date with.

After I got out of the theater I decided to eat because I felt so hungry maybe from the crying and the feeling of nostalgia from watching a very good and beautiful movie. I went to Fishbonz, at the main shopping center, and ordered a grilled cajun salmon salad. The salad was very good and exquisitely delicious wherein I cannot resist taking pictures of it and posted as well as shared it on my Facebook wall where I received a lot of positive envious comments.

Well, it was a very productive day I had on Wednesday and watching "Les Miserables" had given me a lot of emotional workout and spiritual insight wherein I vent out all my pent up emotions from crying my heart out of the very very sad and soulful movie plot. Aaaah..... that was really crazy good and satisfying within. Will be glad to do it again if given another chance. Hehehe. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment