Sunday, September 2, 2012

Labor Day: A Reminiscence

It's Labor Day weekend here in the United States and it's gonna be a national holiday as well as a long weekend. I know Labor Day is being celebrated worldwide but in some countries it will fall on a different date. Here in the United States it always will fall on the first day or week of September.

Labor weekend will always mark the end of Summer although after the weekend the weather is still hot until the middle of October.

I never knew the meaning why the people celebrates Labor Day. All I know it is a national holiday and when I opted to work I will get paid double. Labor Day always marked a great sale day where you can go out shopping and can avail colossal discounts from a lot of department, appliances, and gadget stores.

I remember when I had my first car. It was a screaming pearl white Toyota Camry. It was elegant and beautiful. All powered up from the chair, the steering wheel, the windows, the door, and the wheels. It was my first baby and I named it after my college crush whom I always remember and will never forget. That beautiful car was bought on Labor Day. It was my first real gift to myself.... the fruit of my intense labor as a registered nurse here in the United States.

Labor Day has made a lot of unforgettable, interesting, memorable, funny, experiences and memories for me. I remember the circuit parties I went in New Orleans, Louisiana during Labor Day called the "Southern Decadence" when I was still on my early twenties. It is a famous circuit party for gay lovers and I had met a lot of wonderful friends during that time. I can remember my prime years when I was still active partying up.

I can remember the beautiful city of New Orleans, the busy streets of the French Market indicative of fresh good food hauled from the bay. I remember the happy and bright lighted Bourbon Street where jazz and blues clubs abounds. I remember some of my wild escapades in that hedonistic place who succumb to the wrath of Hurricane Katrina in 2007.

Labor Day had reminded me of my trip to San Francisco visiting my best friend and met his Vietnamese boyfriend. The soulful hospitality they've offered me was encompassing. I never forget the trip they given me to Sonoma Valley and saw the beautiful and lush hilly place full of enormous vineyards with grapes in full bloom. That was a very unforgettable trip I've made up north and until now still lingers at the back of my mind.

I can't forget the winery hopping we've made where we tasted a lot of wines from the nearby wineries. I remember when we've got stopped by a police car and tested us for a sobriety test because they felt we've drank too much wine from our wine tasting trip. It was an embarrassing experience but was also fun. That was an unforgettable experince, too.

Labor Day had made me recall my unintended volunteer vacation in Dominican Republic at the Carribean in 2009 where I ended up roaming the strange place speaking another tongue that I never know of. I overcame my fear by immersing myself with the folks and had made some wonderful hospitable friends there especially when I volunteered at the orphanage teaching children about math and science. It was a touching experience I've had had..... and it was during Labor Day weekend.

Dominican Republic had etched something in my mind especially the pristine beach.... the wild trip at the Alto de Chavon, the visit at the Universidad de la Republica Dominica, paying homage at the graveyard of Christopher Columbus, meeting some of the gorgeous dark skinned guys of the locality, and most importantly partying at the pub and meeting some beautiful gay local friends and have fun all night long. It was a very memorable volunteer trip I've had. Until now I can picture my memorable volunteer work there.

Those were just some of the memorable things that I can remember which happened during Labor Day. I am very surprised I can still recall them but it was very nourishing and refreshing to have been remembering them. I can still savor the memorable experiences I've had had during those times.

Aaah.... it feels so good to have remembered them. I cannot complain anymore. Thanks for Labor Day to have brought them back from my memories. And I am never been more happier to have reminisced them. Aaaah... those were the fun days of my life if I may say so!

No comments:

Post a Comment