Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Joy Of Shopping And Cooking Food

Earlier, after I got out of my clinical work at Rosecrans Care Center with Batch 35B I went to the Korean Market near where I live called "Hongkong Supermarket". It was a big market with a lot of Asian fruits and vegetables to select. I was excited to roam around and see some of the fruits I was longing to buy and eat.

The sweet and crunchy Chinese jujubes caught my eye so I decided to buy it. I remember the first time I ate it, I still remember the crunchiness of the starchy fruit. It is as crunchy as guava or apple and the sweet and starchy taste was still making my mouth water. On the picture is an sample of the jujube that made me in love a year ago. Hmmm...

I continued shopping until I saw several sweet and crunchy green plums that also made my mouth water so I bought four and also grabbed some crunchy white peach nearby. I also bought some green broccoli and roman hearts for I was intending to make some salads tomorrow with that crunchy white peach I bought.

I feasted my eyes on the fruit section then decided to go to check the different mushrooms at the corner. There were black button one, portobellos, and the small Korean and Japanese mushrooms I used to buy for my fish soup.

Thinking of fish I decided to cook fish soup today. I decided to make cioppino soup so I decided to go to the fish section and decided to buy some catfish when I saw a package of fish and clams faith different veggies from the crystal display. I checked the price and it looks reasonable. It also seem very convenient because the package was only intended for one cooking and is enough for me.

There were clams, squids, mussels, shrimps, catfish and red cod fish slices plus some cuts of onions, shallots, bell peppers, carrots, zucchinis, jalapeƱos, white radish, and several Korean green leaves that I don't recognize plus some herb leaves I don't know. I grabbed one package for I think it's only enough for me.

I was also craving for a boiled corn so I decided to go back to the vegetable section and decided to take some Korean corns as well as my favorite Asian purple yams. Then I headed to the counter and paid for what I shopped. Here is the picture of the cooked Korean corn which I was craving. It is very tender and juicy and oh so sweet. Hmmm....

When I got home, I immediately changed my scrub with my house cloths then I decided to cook my cioppino soup because my tummy was already gurgling from hunger. I haven't ate any lunch earlier during my clinical duty because I was so busy and I decided to just cook and eat at home so now I was trying to make this experimental cioppino soup that I was imagining all along my drive home. And by the way, this is the first time I am cooking it and I hope it will not be disastrous.

I immediately placed my pot on the stove and piled the contents of the fish package I bought from the supermarket. Then I added a liter of water, sliced garlic and tomatoes, then two dried bay leaves, pinch of salt, and the chili-tomato sauce that goes with the package. When the water started to boil I tasted it again and see if I still needed to add more salt then I dropped all the veggies and let it simmered for another five minutes.

When I turned off the flames from the stove, I scooped some of the ingredients and placed it on my bowl. Yummmy..... though it was my first time to cook it it seems that it was the best cioppino I ever tasted. The spiciness was just enough to rattle my taste buds. It was fiery hot yet expertly flavored and dedicatedly cooked with passion. I ate two bowls and I was so full after that... Here is the picture of the so called cioppino I made. Eventhough you cannot taste it at least you can see it online and feast it with your eyes.

Yum! Yum1 Yum! I hope you all enjoyed it. This is the best cioppino I ever tasted and the first time I ever cooked. Enjoy guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment