Sunday, July 22, 2012

Long Night At Work

I came in yesterday to work at 1700H because the one that I am relieving will have to leave early for the reason that he will be leaving at 2200H to the Philippines because of a death in his immediate family. As a consideration I said yes to come in early when my immeidiate boss had asked me to come because he still has to pack his things and leave that night. And besides I know the feeling of having to rush when catching up a flight.

I came to work getting ready for the long night to happen. I wasn't really that excited because I know there will be a lot of paper works to do and tend. I knew that there will be an admission when I come back and that there's still some pending recommendations to do left to me by the medical disciplinary team.

I still have to do the dietary recommendations which I had barely started last night and the dreaded pharmacy recommendations which was a little thicker lately compared to the one I did last month. Good thing I already did the psychotropic summaries early this month and had reviewed all informed consents that's needed to be attached to the chart. Well, it's no joke really and I have to anticipate what will happen next.

I arrived at work then started to get report from Verne. The new admission was already there and Verne had started inputting some orders in the computer. I noticed that he needs to leave soon so I told him I will finish whatever he didn't do. Well, I have no means but to do it because he has to leave immediately.

I started to input the MDs orders of the newly readmitted resident in 218D and just keep doing it after every thing were okay. Good thing I finished every thing after two hours. After I am done with it I started to do another work which is also inputting new orders made by Dr. Lang when he made rounds earlier for all of his residents.

It was just easy to input them in the computer because there were only few resident's to do, like eight residents. After printing the new orders and faxing it to the pharmacy I immediately put them in the chart.

It was already 2200H when I was done for those orders made by Dr. Lang then a little bit after I started to do my assessments for the new admit doing the assessments for bladder and bowel, physical restraints, pain and comfort, dehydration, resident and family education, tuberculosis, smoking, and elopement assessments. It was a very taxing job but I have to be sure they will be in the computer or else I will be audited bymedical records.

After that, I also updated the care plans and I added eight care plans out of that readmission aside from updating the old care plans. Care planning was very meticulous and very time consuming especially reupdating a readmitted resident. I have to change the dates for every entry so I have to take my time until I am finished inputting everything.

At around 2300H the night crew had arrived then I have to gather them up and do a little huddle explaining to them what goals to be expected for the whole night then after that I send them to their respective assignments to do their first round.

It was almost midnight so I decided to take my thirty minute lunch. I have to ask Najwa earlier to buy me some Chinese food when she left to grab some food outside. I had gobbled the food hungrily and voila my lunch time was already over.

I went back to work and started all my IV meds to two residents who have infection then after that I started doing the dietary and pharmacy recommendations which I did until the morning. I was very busy that I didn't even notice it was already 0500H. The night was long yet the time flies so quick.

I am glad I was so productive tonight doing a lot of things. I didn't even felt sleepy because I kept managing myself to be busy. I am so flattered I did a lot tonight and I am proud of myself. It was just a rare night for me to be busy but I am loving the idea. I'd love to do it again. Oooh.... how I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment