Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Meeting The New Group

I have to handle Batch 26A at Long Beach Medical Center for two days because their initial instructor was accidentally assigned at Hancock Care Center and meeting them was a big challenge. I just don't know where to start at first and I am quite ineffective at that moment  because my expectations was that they were knowledgeable of the fundamentals as taught in their FON.

I kind of trick them to write a baby care plan to gauge where they're at now and also assigned them to do two drug studies. When they're done I started to check it and I was down hearted because their care planning skills was very off from what the standard is. I don't know where to start and what to do. I also don't know who taught them during their FON and I don't know what they've learned during those times.

I suddenly realized that I have to do something since I am there so I decided to kinda let them know that I have to do something about my observation in that I have to double time the next day to teach them how to create a very effective care plan.

During the first day, they asked me to help them study about their current theory subject,which is Fluids and Electrolytes, so I started to gave them a brief rehash about F&E and quizzed them about reading and interpreting arterial blood gases (ABGs). I am glad I started to helped them in a little way and they were so thankful about it. They couldn't wait for the next day to learn how to make care plans.

I am very glad that they wanted to learn it so the next day I lectured them intensely about making care plans and had answered their questions directly. They were also glad that I had them for just a brief days n their clinical and they can't wait to have me as their clinical instructor in their fourth term.

Well, every day we have challenges to face and in every challenges there's always a solution for it no matter what... whether me or unmet. And that's the beauty of life because we got to be more accepting to face such challenges to learn something from it.

It was also a blessing for me to meet these group of students who are very eager to learn and I am very fulfilled to have helped them in every way. I never been happier to see their bright faces and it's a big achievement for me to make them satisfied. God has the reason why I was assigned for only two days. 

Life is surreal and challenges are always inevitable. We just have to equip ourselves with a skill to face it wholeheartedly. And I am very glad I did the right way to guide these students the right path to learning. In the end, I need to pat my back for a job well done. Aahh... never in my mind I can face such challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment