Thursday, February 23, 2012

Teotihuacan: Searching For More Spiritual Answers

FEBRUARY 19, 2012:  I did not go with the guys last night to Puebla to party because I wasn't feeling good. I opted to stay at the hotel because I felt so sore all over my body may be because of too much walking the previous days. I took two Tylenol tablets then went to sleep early like a baby. I noticed that Ricky had crept inside the room at about 0500H from partying at Puebla, Mexico which is about more or less one hour drive from Mexico City.

Today, I woke up at 0900H and I felt so refreshed and renewed. I opened my iPad2 and checked my emails as well as write some more interesting blogs about my recent travels. My boredom I think serves as the catalyst of my drive to write creatively making myself productive at the moment. Then at 0930H, I  took a hot shower to vasodilate my veins and pooled some blood to my skin and muscles so that the lactic acid will be neutralized thereby relaxing me greatly.

Then at 1000H, I woke up Ricky (the poor guy appears soporific and beaten up) so that we can check out at the hotel and pick up the guys at the Marriott Hotel in Zona Rosa because we are all heading to Teotihuacan Pyramids, which I went last time for a quick visit, but now I am hoping I can explore it extensively,  most especially the Pyramids of the Moon which I did not see last time. I only went to see the Pyramids of the Sun last December, when I last came here to visit, because I came there almost closing time.

After we picked up the guys (Robert and Joey) at Marriott at 1130H, Ricky drove us to Teotihuacan directly, taking the freeway going south of Mexico. It only took us about forty-five minutes to go there because there was no traffic.

We went to the souvenir shop first and listened to the guy, his name is Mario (typical Mexican name),  who explained extensively about the different use and purposes of the Maguey plant (a cactus-like plant), which has a scientific name of "Agave salmiana", which are common in Teotihuacan because of the humid weather and desert-like surroundings which the plants like to thrive at most of the time.

He also explained to us how to extract "polque" which is a whitish thick sweet juice or sap from the heart of the mature Maguey plant, when fermented at the right time and teperature, is being used up in the making of tequila which is a staple alcoholic shot drink of the Mexican people during happy hours. He also demonstrated to us how to extract a fiber from it's spiny leaves and also remove a paperlike membrane from both surface of the wide matured elongated leaves.

Mario, also brought us to a demonstration table and had us sampled the "polque" they had just harvested yesterday. It tasted sweet, minty, and slightly alcoholic. I remember the "tuba" way back home extracted from the coconut flower, but the "polque" is milky and slushy compared to the orange and liquidy characteristics of the "tuba". It tastes deliciously awesome! 

We also tried to sample the tequila they had made from the aged "polque", which was exclusively made, fermented, and  manufactured by them. It was kickingly fiery and fruity at the same time so I chased it with wedged lime and naturally rocked salt which added a very palatably delicious after taste. I only took one shot of the tequila but it had kick me to a hilt leaving me a seared and burning in a good feeling throat that I started buzzing already.

Mario also explained to us the different kinds of obsidian stone. He even gave us samples of the stone and demonstrated us how sharp it was by cutting a stalk of the Maguey leaves. He also told us that the one with gold background when gotten wet are very rare so I asked him to give me a small chip sample which I kept in my wallet as a memento. He also explained some of the uses of the obsidian stone.

Then we headed at the spinning wheel which weaved the fibers of the maguey plant used to make clothes and throws. Then we went inside the store and browsed some of the sample colorful and intricate weaved fabrics made from the fibers of the maguey plant. It was very colorful and nice to look at.

We also browsed the souvenir shop and saw a wide array of things made from silver and obsidian stones as well as from blue "larimar" stones, commonly used to adorn most jewelries. They were pretty and nice to look at. I bought one pendant made of obsidian stone with gold streaks when reflected under sunlight. The two guys we're with bought two bottles of the special tequila that store had aged and made.

From the souvenir shop, Ricky then drove us to the entrance of the pyramids. We spotted a very convenient parking spot near the entrance so we parked our car there and then we ambled towards the great pyramid called the Pyramid of the Sun, located at the center of the valley of the pyramids.

There were a lot of people there today, may be because it was a Sunday. The stairs going up to the bigger pyramid, the Pyramid of the Sun, were full of people climbing up the steep stairs. They appeared like small ants climbing up the triangular structure pointing towards the sky. It was packed there today compared to the day when I went there last December.

Even the novelty and souvenir stalls at the entrance were packed with a wide array of people. It was crazy there at that time. We ambled towards the Pyramid of the Sun, which was about 400 meters from where we're standing. I pre-warned the guys that I am not going to go up there anymore because of my horrible experience I had last time. When we saw the line was very long at the base of the structure, the guys decided not to go up either.

We then stopped at the front platform in front of the bigger pyramid and took a lot of pictures, with different angles and poses, before we decided to go or head up to the next smaller pyramid, which is the famously known Pyramid of the Moon, found on the West side of the pyramid valley

The walk towards the Pyramid of the Moon was about two kilometers and on each side of the way were the ruins of the old Aztec civilization. It looks like little stalls with small rooms but they appeared already roofless in front of us. We also saw some of the remnants of their arts on the walls which was being preserved from the wear and tear of time and climate. We took a lot of pictures of all those mini- rooms from the ruined pyramids as well as the paintings in some of the rooms. 

We continued our walk towards the Pyramid of the moon, and when we reached the front we decided to go up and took pictures from there. The climb was only limited until the pedestal and nothing more. It was a steep climb and we were catching our breath when we got on top. We were able to take a lot of pictures from there and stayed there for a little while appreciating the vastness and simple beauty of the place and wondered; "How did the ancient people survived there?"

We were also trying to feel how they were able to thrive in that place for we know that their cultures and practices was been overheard until the south in the Yucatan jungle. It was very interesting to be there and see it all in person, communing with the remnants of their past trying to put the puzzle together, but unluckily our questions were not answered well.

We also went to see the ruins of the Palace of Quetzcal, on the East side of the Pyramid of the Moon. It was noted that he has a lot of influence among the people of Teotihuacans because he was the high priest. And every words that came out from his mouth was being followed as if people were hypnotizingly demanded to do it.

After we're done at the Pyramid of the Moon, we ambled back towards the Pyramid of the Sun and checked if the line had abated. When we got there the line was still the same and it looks like it won't stop at all. The people at the steep stairs are still moving at a very slow pace and they appeared like a colony of ants trying to climb up the big pyramid for a much needed reward.

The two guys we are with were frustrated so we decided to check out the museum on the North side of the pyramid valley close to the Pyramid of the Sun. After checking the exhibits at the museum, the lines were still the same so the guys decided to go back to Mexico City because they were tired already. I myself was also tired. It was like 1630H that time when we surrendered walking and called it quits.

It was quite a slow day today despite of the crowded people at Teotihuacan. The heat of the afternoon sun pierced our skin and the humid weather added a toll on us while we were ambling around the valley of the pyramids. It was cool to commune with them invoking the spirits of the Gods from both great pyramids, the Pyramid of the sun and the Pyramid of the Moon. This is my second time there but it seems that I felt not being there before, because every thing is still new to me.

I am glad I was back there again today, to fully understand how these structures had evolved long time ago, and also learned a lot of the Aztec's cultures, customs, traditions, arts, and religion. Now, everything was very clear and enlightening to me and now I can feel that I am fond and more inclined to learn about the Aztec culture. 

Searching about myself is one of my purpose in going here and I am glad I found some answers to some of my puzzling questions. Whatever questions I have, I will only keep it to myself. Happy reading guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment