Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Long Drive To Queretaro

FEBRUARY 19, 2012: After we dropped off the two guys at Marriott from our whole day walk at the pyramids, Ricky brought me to his apartment to rest a little bit because he was very tired from today's activities plus he did not slept well because he was partying with the two guys at Puebla last night and went home at 0500H.

I told him to rest before we leave tonight. I also fell asleep when we got there because I felt tired also from walking a lot at the pyramids. At 2100H, we woke up and prepared for our long drive to Queretero. 

We passed by Marriott Hotel first to bade goodbye with the two guys then after that, Ricky and I started our journey to Queretero. We left Mexico City at 2200H. I was so excited to start our travel down south of Mexico to experience another place and immerse with their culture.

The freeway from Mexico City was a little congested and when we reached Highway 57 going south the traffic was not that evident anymore. Along the way Ricky and I were talking about our experiences regarding our recent travels. We also talked about our impressions of the two guys we just drove to Teotihuacan today. We also tell jokes at each other and laugh at them even if they are not laughable. We were like crazies driving without directions.

As we continued driving south the road become darker and darker. There were eighteen wheeler drivers who drove like maniacs despite of their limit to only drive 90 kpm.  I saw some huge trucks driving 120 kpm which even overtook us who is driving the limit of 110 kpm. There was no state patrol manning the freeway either. Good thing the road was straight and in excellent condition. No dirt roads or bumpy ones.

As the night gets deeper we appeared so tired and it gave a toll on both of us. The drive became boring and we look very soporific. I turned on my iPhone and set the music to continuous play so that we can be perked up by the groovy songs of Madonna and Black Eyed Peas. The ones we kept listening all the time was Adele's "Someone Like You" which was Ricky's favorite.

Halfway, after one hour of driving with the limit of 110 kpm at Highway 57 going south to Queretaro, I instructed Ricky to just exit at the nearby Pecmec Gasoline Station so that we can check the tire's air if it is still okay and that we can gas up again for a full tank to avoid inevitable accidents and running out of gasoline.

Then after that we continued our trip. The night was getting dark and the Highway 57 was still busy with all the vehicles driving south. A lot of big trucks and 18 wheelers can be seen at night hauling their deliveries to their respective destinations. I've also seen buses coming and going from different directions trying to bring their passengers to their respective destinations.

The distance of Queretero from Mexico City is 199 kilometers and it will took a single car to drive 2 hours or more normally to get there at an average speed of 110 kph. We arrived at Queretaro at around 1230H and the place was already dead at that time.

We appeared very tired and sleepy already. Ricky had missed his exit and we were roaming around the freeway trying to locate the road to the center of the city. Finally, we hit the streets and we were driving around the city trying to locate for an available bed and breakfast hotel. Ricky was driving without direction and without knowing where he is and that irked me so much.

Because I was very tired already I got irritated and complained to him to stop roaming aimlessly on the road. I told him to go back to the freeway and look for the Best Western Inn I spotted a while ago.

He then turned around and try to maintain at the side road of the freeway so that we could not miss the hotel. We finally found the hotel so we immediately checked in and retired. I was already in a foul mood and poor Rick has to suffer about my bitchings.

I apologized to him and he also ask sorry to me. And we were okay again after that. I took a hot shower after that and slept very tightly to nurse my fatigue and general body aches. I had a good respite.

Queretaro appears like a colonial place and I can't wait to explore it the next day. It looks dead when we got there after midnight and it will held it's surprise for us until the morning will finally arise in order for us to enjoy more and get intrigued of it's magnificent existence.

The two hours and thirty minutes drive was well worth it to be here in Queretaro to discover the secrets and beauty it has to offer.  Despite of our mild argument I am glad that Ricky and I had patched up our own individual differences. After all it was a very good drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment