Sunday, January 8, 2012

Last Day In Mexico City

My last day in Mexico City was so loaded with adventures and challenges. It was a day well spent seeing the beautiful places around the city like the Palacio Nacional and the Azteca Templo Mayor. We also spent a lot of walking on the streets of Mexico which even added to the soreness of my thigh.

We woke late already that day because I was still so beat up from the previous days walking and driving from Puebla. Like what I said, it was my last day so I have to pack my things and meticulously arranged them in my luggage so that I won't be overweight with it.

We reviewed our plans for the day and decided to check out at 1100H. Then after we checked out we headed right away to the Zocalo and lined up at the Palacio Nacional just to see the murals painted by the famous Mexican artist Diego Rivera.

Inside the palace we took a lot of pictures of the inside and the facade as well as the paintings on the wall. Formerly, it was the seat of the president but right now they used it as government offices for the Audit Department. There were a lot of securities inside and also a lot of tourist.

We got to see the offices of the former presidents of Mexico through their preserved museum at the second floor. Pictures are not allowed there. But we have the liberty to snap a lot of pictures at the wall paintings and the murals on the hallway on the second floor.

After we finished browsing the enormous building we went back to the crowded streets of the Zocalo and ambled towards the nearby Aztec Templo Mayor near the plaza. The last time we went there on a Monday it was close and now it was open and is ready for us to browsed it.

The temple has a great significance in the Mexican history because it is the only group of pyramids burried at the heart of the city built by the Aztecs when they moved to Mexico City from Teotihuacan. It was now in ruins and a UNESCO World Heritage site for historical significance.

As I read the history of the temple I remember the movie I've seen directed by Mel Gibson called "Apocalypto" and this i sthe exact temple where they sacrifice warriors to be offered for the mother sun so then she can set in the horizon and sleep. I can imagine how my warrior they killed in one day and how primitive their way of killing each warriors.

The site was a testimony of all those primal beliefs the Aztecs indians have. We also had browsed the Templo Mayor Museum filled with exhibits and things from the ruins. I felt honored walking at the sacred site and I can imagine how it thrived and exist as a very developed civilization not until when the Spaniards came and conquered them.

It was already almost 1500H when we left the museum and I told my guide that I was very hungry so we opted to feast for my last lunch at the city. We went to one of the famous restaurant near the museum and sipped margaritas and ate classic Mexican food called the fajitas. I was so stuffed and it was worth it.

We then hurried to get to our parking and drove towards the airport. It was very traffic and I was worried I will miss my train and good thing I was not. When we got to the airport I bade good bye to my friend and guide and promised him I will go back and see more places in Mexico.

I then went in to line for the security check only to find out that my flight will be delayed for 2 hours. Crap I should have stayed longer outside and talk more with my guide about our next plan. But well, too late for that because he already left and I was already inside.

All in all, my trip to Mexico was a kind of trip worth doing for. And I thank my guide for letting me see all those new places I never seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment