Friday, October 21, 2011

Strolling Around Aix-en-Provence

October 20, 2011: Today, we woke up late because we don't have any agenda except that Doreen has a rendezvous with her personal physician at 1100H. This Thursday morning was kinda gloomy and nippy. There were guys busy hauling some shattered ceramic tiles from Shelley's kitchen. This is the day that the construction will start.

We changed immediately to catch for the bus outside the street but we missed it with quite a few minutes. We took the next bus but we didn't realized Doreen was late on her appointment. When we arrived at the marketplace there were stalls arranged for the market day. Doreen went up to her doctor's office while I opted to stay on the streets and decided to make this necessary stroll.

I decided to grab some coffee and croissants at the Paul Bakery but I was greeted with this unfriendly young French shopkeeper and was hurrying me up to make an order. It's kind of offending because there were three people lining up after me. My days was almost ruined but I still managed to be polite despite the offensive greeting.

In my irritation I looked at him fiercely and demandingly ordered a cafe americano and three petit croissants. I paid him for what it's worth and continued to look for a counter against the wall and sip some hot coffee while playing my billiards game in my iPhone waiting to pass the time while waiting for Doreen to finish.

When I finished sipping coffee I went to the flea market and enjoyed watching the wide array of flowers sold there, as well as see some buildings with intricate mouldings and ornaments which I've already seen last year when I came here. I just have to commune with my previous memories I've had here last year.

I also went to the marketplace and browsed some organic vegetables and fruits they are selling, different kitchen spices, flavoured and spiced bar of soaps, homemade jams and jellies scribed in French, and many many more. There were quite a lot of people taking advantage of the market day as well as sale and marked down items they can offer.

I continued perusing the streets, inns, alleys, and corners I can see. When I found out I was very far from Doreen's doctor's office I decided to go back and went in the nearby Orange Store browsing the new iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. As I was feeling the iPad2 I didn't even realized that Rosalie was beside me along with her little tot.

I ask her what she's doing there, she told me that Doreen had called her to bring her to work. We went out of the store and went to the doctor's office to check on Doreen but still she was not seen yet by the doctor because she came in late. I asked Rosalie if we can grab some coffee and she said yes.

When Doreen was finished with her appointment at 1300H she decided not to drop Rosalie at work because it was already very late. We then just decided to ate lunch at this very sleek and petit resto at the mouth of the Centerville ordering steaks and salad as well as sipping red wine. They both decided to call their friends and decided to meet them at the restaurant. An hour later there were two ladies who joined us and I met them halfway. We talked and laughed a lot then I paid for the food.

We then got out of the resto and strolled around Aix still laughing and talking at each other. Near the big fountain at the rotonda there was a guy surrounded by young high school students doing some interview and shooting, sitting and talking with the kids. My new friends recognized him as one of the Aix rugby players. When the shooting was done he was passing at our side so Doreen approached him if I can have one pic of him because I just came from the US. He was very kind and nice to stand on my side and smiled at the camera. He was tall and huge with those piercing green eyes.

After that we then disbanded and me and Doreen decided to pass by at Pacita's place. When we get to Pacita's, she's still not there so we waited at Beverly's house until she came at 1830H. She was very happy to see me and we talked a lot while she was preparing something for us for dinner. While cutting the chicken for the adobo Pacita accidentally sliced one of her finger so I decided to continue cooking the adobo while Doreen attended to her wound.

When the adobo was cooked we said grace and enjoyed the food heartily sipping wine and talking at each other. It was a very good dinner and we all enjoyed it. Pascal (Pacita's boyfriend) was very funny as well as Pacita and Doreen. The group was very roudy and crazy and we all laughed and laughed until we cried with so much fun.

At 2200H Pascal dropped us off at Doreen's apartment and we call it a day. Before going inside the apartment we pushed the trash near the street and went inside the apartment. Our day was great because we did it effortlessly to make it great. I got to see some good old friends and we had some anxious-free fun and great enjoyable humor. That's the way how to spice up life!

No comments:

Post a Comment