Sunday, December 26, 2010

My Very Simple Christmas

It's really hard to celebrate Christmas by myself alone. I have no immediate families around to share the spirit of the holidays. Yet for me I made an outlet to celebrate it more memorable and a little bit festive. And I am proud of myself.

It was my 10th year of celebrating Christmas by myself since I moved here in Los Angeles from McAllen, TX. I still remember my happy Christmas celebration with my friends and co-workers when I was in Texas. It still lingers at the back of my mind and is freshly teasing my memory.

I was thinking that since Christmas is a time of giving I came up with a plan to share what I know and what I have to a lot of people. I've been doing some few volunteer works in the past years so I decided to volunteer cooking for some of our homeless brothers and sisters on the cold streets of Los Angeles.

Celebrating Christmas alone is no easy task. So I planned to cook some chicken soup and spaghetti and planned to bring and share it at the homeless shelter in Pico Street near downtown Los Angeles area. I made a booking with the manager there and I was so happy that they allowed me to prepare the dishes I wanted to share and participate on their Christmas day party.

A day before Christmas I was off so I did some shopping for the menu. I was driving to and fro everywhere. It was not an easy task but I enjoyed doing it for I know that I could make people happy on Christmas day. It always uplift me to help somebody. I am a bit emotional about it because I remember when I was little when we don't have nothing to eat on Christmas day.

Growing up like that makes me appreciate the spirit of the holidays by sharing what I have though it's in a small way. I always have the itch to cook so it's a no brainer for me to do it. I always feel good that people always appreciated my work even though it's in a simple way. And my urge to share more is being sparked.

Some people along with me also were there to distribute Christms gifts and participate in the Christmas program. There were a lot of singing, dancing, and eating. Christmas music were blaring loudly on the speakers and it was very festive. The program at the shelter home was a success because of some people who also participated in the activities, gift giving, and meals.

I went home very happy that time and had received a lot of "Thank yous!" and "handshakes and hugs". My heart skipped a million times and I feel so much relieved and fulfilled.

I still remember my parents telling me to always share and give not only on Christmas but in my everyday life. And I appreciated them to have instilled me that kind of value. It was so rewarding and touching.

This year I celebrated my Christmas in a simple way but I know I touched other people's hearts and lives. I always find it self-fulfilling to see people getting happy and enjoy celebrating Christmas even in a small way as possible.

Christmas is not always the time to give but also to make all our days all throughout the year a day of giving and sharing in our own special way. This is how I spent Christmas in a very simple and special yet rewarding way...... by touching other people's lives being a part of my simple Christmas holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment