Thursday, December 9, 2010

It's December Again!

Time flies, it's already December again. Seems that the nippy morning breeze of Autumn had already set in. I can feel the joyous spirit of the holidays every where.

As I drive home on a busy freeway from my clinical class at Long Beach Care Center, I can hear the blaring of the early Christmas carols from the local radio. Christmas spirits were already imminent from the malls and the streets. People of all walks of life were busy doing their early Christmas shopping despite the pinch of the recession.

When I was young in my native country, the Philippines, I remember we celebrate the start of Christmas early October. Christmas music were been heard from the radio that early time of the year. We already made our Christmas lists early and preparation for the Christmas. And the Christmas trees and decorations from the malls were already adorned early part of November. It was always the longest Christmas celebration we always had.

Now that I am in the United States, I still missed those kind of preparation and celebration. Singing Christmas carols with friends from house to house was the lasting memory I missed. The time of being with friends having much fun during Christmas day was priceless. It still linger at the back of my head even though I am far away from my native land.

I missed spending Christmas with my family although we have nothing to prepare. We always have to gather at the living room and talk about our wishes and goals for Christmas on a simple celebration. Sometimes we watch a Christmas movie and my parents tells us stories about St. Nick. That was mesmerizing!

When I came over here I had the time of celebrating Christmas with my new found friends. When I was working in McAllen, TX I remember gathering with my friends during Christmas time bringing potlucks and presents, singing karaoke and enjoying each other's presence. It was hilarious!

Now, when I moved to Los Angeles near my family I remember gathering at my Aunt's house and celebrate Christmas with my cousins exchaging presents and eating good holiday foods. We got time to mingle and talk about each other's life. I missed those!

This year, I think I gonna celebrate Christmas alone. I don't know what to do during that time but one thing for sure I will do is to go to church and attend the mass as well as visit the Infant Jesus and greet Him a happy birthday and thank Him for all the good graces that I had received all through out my life.

December is always a time to be grateful and thankful about the graces we received. And I am always excited every time December comes. I just can't contain my excitement although I missed all those lasting memories that had happened in my life before during those past Christmases I had.

The nippy Christmas morn, the beautiful decorations and adorned Christmas trees at the mall, the colorful twinkling of the Christmas lights outside the yard, the soft enticing music of the Christmas carols, and the wide array of Chriistmas presents under the Christmas trees always herald the coming of the Christmas holidays.

Christmas is always a time of giving not just material things but also of intangible things which can lighten up the spirit of those in need. This Christmas we have to think of those people who need it the most and make their Christmas a memorable one for this is the reason why Jesus came down to earth, to make the whole world be at peace.

I wish a lasting global peace this Christmastime and I hope we could make time to give and make someone happy on Christmas day. Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment