Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Trip To Santo Domingo (Part 2)

September 4, 2010 (Saturday): I woke up that day at around 9 am. I think it's not gonna be hot that day. So I decided to take a warm shower and changed.

I decided to tour outside of the vicinity near the hotel so I hire a taxicab for me to roam around Santo Domingo outside the downtown area. I met this very amiable taxicab driver named Senor Dario. Although he speaks broken English at least we understod each other.

I asked Dario to bring me to the famous "Faro de Colon" aka "The Famous Columbus Lighthouse". It was a national monument considering that some of Columbus' bones were burried there.

Dominican Republic was one of the islands in the Americas that were discovered by Columbus that's why the noted discoverer was very famous in this country.

The lighthouse was so enormous. I was told it was shaped like a cross and when lighted on special occasions it looks like a cross up in the skies. With the big lantern in the middle that served as the lighthouse.

The building was also a seat of a lot of expedition artifacts made by the Spanish and other cultures that set afoot in this beautiful island. The building was rich with historical artifacts and the guide had supplemented me with all these informations I needed to know. It was really interesting to know.

The second place that Dario had brought me was the "Los Tres Ojos" aka "The Three Eyes" which derived it's meaning from the three lakes that's being found in this famous cave although I was told there's four lakes but the smallest one wasn't counted as such.

The cave was very preserved and captivating. The structures that was carved by nature was well preserved and the lakes were prohibited to be exploited by the inhabitants.

It was a very captivating and tranquil place. The cave was very serene and pristine and the wilderness inside was very awe inspiring. I can't contain my excitement upon seeing the beauty that Santo Domingo had been protecting. It was a big treasure for them to have kept it. It was really a rare find and I thank Dario for driving me here.

The third place that my taxi driver had brought me was the "Nacional Acuarium" or the National Aquarium" where some of the common sea flora and fauna being seen in Dominican Republic were found.

I took a lot of pictures of all the three places I've went that day and couldn't wait to post it on my Facebook albums.

After roaming at the aquarium for quite a time Dario also drove me at the nearby "Yellow and Black Striped lighthouse" which is one of my weaknesses. The lighthouse was just about half mile from the aquarium and near the coastal road of the city surrounded by coconut groves.

I also took pictures of the lighthouse and was very happy to have seen one. Then after that Dario had brought me back near the hotel area. I paid the taxi driver his fees and I thank him greatly for showing me around the beautiful Santo Domingo.

I went back to the hotel because the heat of the sun was already scorchingly hot on this very intense summer day. I took a little rest and came out of the hotel again around 4 pm when the sun was down.

I tried to roam around the El Conde Park and the one kilometer bargain street where you can see some of the bargain stalls that depicts what Santo Domingo is.

On the street you can see some of the paintings depicting the Dominican cultures and the handicrafts also depicting the richness of their culture and the famous jewelries they're all proud made of topaz and larimar (their national stone).

After shopping I went to the end of the bargain street on the north side and went to the three president's tombs. I stayed there and met Carlos, one of the fine arts student of the University Autonomia de Santo Domingo who was willing to show me more about their culture and their language.

Carlos has this beautiful green eyes and molato skin and was very charming and gorgeous. He taught me Spanish well and I learned a lot from him. After the meeting I thanked Carlos for the help and I went back at the hotel.

September 5, 2010 (Sunday): Today I have to wake up early because we have another getaway with another set of group to the beautiful Islands of Catalanas.

We gathered in front of the hotel and took the bus. This trip was arranged by my friend Renato and there were fifteen of us scheduled to enjoy this very memorable trip to the islands.

The group was very loud and very participating. There were snacks and games during the trip and we had a lot of fun.

We passed three towns which I couldn't remember anymore but the one I couldn't forget was the place called "Altos de Chavon" which is only open during winter times where all the winter retirees goes here to retire from the coldfront.

The community was a very plush countryside and all the buildings were made of pure corrals which looks like pink buildings from afar. It was a very wealthy community with plush restaurants and chapels. It was like living at the backlots of Universal studios where the movies were being shoot.

There was a big amphitheater which we were told by Renato where Frank Sinatra had performed when he was alive. There was also this very big fountain that had captivated my eyes. I took a lot of pictures of this place which I wante dto post on my Facebook account, too.

The one that also captivated my sight was the river that snaked near this high place. The riverside were so plushed with green trees and looked so awe inspiring.

After visiting this beautiful place we continued our trip in going to Catalanas Islands. The visit to "Altos de Chavon" was just an icing to the cake but the trip to Catalanas Islands was the big treat.

We boarded a boat ride in Santa Romana and took a half hour trip towards the islands. On the boat the group went wild and the boat crew started to kick off the fun by dancing the merengue and salsa.

When we arrived at the islands I felt compelled to gasp a big wow because the place had captivated me a lot. It was very pristine and uninhabited. The deep blue green waters were so captivating and inviting.

I enjoyed perusing the islands and soaked in the blue waters. The fun from the bus had continued and we had a lot of games and treats. We all enjoyed the escapades.

The meal were excellent and the snorkelling sessions were enjoyable. The snorkelling intructor was so hot and gorgeous with his smooth coffee colored skin and taut sculpted body was a good example of an eye candy. I can't get off my eyes on him all the time and I cannot held myself and asked to get his solo picture in my camera for me to remind of him. Hahaha.

We left the islands at 3:30 pm and took the boat ride back to Santa Romana and the two an da half hour ride to Santo Domingo. The whole day ride and fun was very memorable and enjoyable. It was a very crazy and fun trip.

I went back to my hotel too tired and rested for one hour when Carlos showed up to continue our Spanish lessons. I invited my instructor for a very tasty dinner at Hotel Sofitel and we enjoyed the salmon and beer.

After the dinner we parted ways hoping to see each other again the next day for my last session of Spanish lessons. It was a very promising and fulfilling day indeed!

September 6, 2010 (Monday): This day I had a hang-over from the previous day's fun. I woke up at 11 am, took a warm shower and changed.

I decided to shop in the afternoon so for the meantime I called Dario, the taxicab driver to show me around the other part of the town.

Dario showed me the Nacional Government House and the various museums around the town as well as the coastal roads and the city itself apart from the plush downtown district.

In the city I saw the other face of Santo Domingo were poor people were lived making and getting things together to make ends meet. It wasn't not pleasing to the eyes but that's the harsh reality you can find in Santo Domingo.

But this progressive city had shared the promise of the 21st cetury were people communicate with smart phones and IT gadgets.

Dario had also brought me to the "Nacional Jardin Botanica", which is a 200 hectare land which nests a wide array of plant species. It was a huge botanical garden I've ever saw and was well maintain.

The lush virgin forest was very captivating and the wide array of plants coming from different parts of the world was a mystery to me to have it grown in this tropical place of the world. It was still a big wonder to me!

After the long hour trip I told Dario to drop me off at the Universidad Autonomia de Santo Domingo for me to meet Carlos there and continue my last session of Spanish lessons.

The university was so huge and there were hundreds of students scattered everywhere. I met Carlos at the "Biblioteca de la Universidad" and he showed me around the whole place.

I took pictures of the place for my Facebook documenation and then we proceeded for our lessons again.

After the lessons we left the library and the university and Carlos showed me the Metro and the subway. That was a very nice trip indeed.

I went back to the La Colonia place via the coastal road and I went to the one kilometer bargain place to go shopping for the last time for the mementos I needed to bring back home.

I finished shopping at 5 pm then I went to see one of my friend Alex Molina for an early afternoon dinner. After the dinner I went back to the hotel and met Laurence who told me that Renato told him to take care of me because he went to Punta Cana.

I told Laurence that I already hired a taxi for the next day flight. Seeing that I took care of myself well, Laurence was very pleased. He invited me to go clubbing that night for a drink. So we made a pact to see each other at 10 pm at Bar Friendly.

The party was fun and I drank my heart away and met good friends. My friend Alex was also there so we had a lot of fun together. It was a night of laughters and poking fun at each other. It was hilarious!

We ended the night at midnight and we bade good bye at everyone for this will be my last night in Santo Domingo. My trip was fun, memorable, and promising although it was just a short time.

I thank all the people that I met who made my trip very fulfilling and unforgettable.

September 7, 2010 (Tuesday): I woke up at 6 am to pack all my things and I did it in just half an hour.

I went back to sleep and woke up at 8 am took a warm shower and took my last breakfast near the El Conde Park restaurant. When I came back Dario was already at the hotel ready to pick me up.

I paid my hotel stay and turned over the room keys then went off to the airport via Dario's taxi.

I arrived at the airport one hour early so I checked in my luggage and fall in line at the inspection entrance. When I went in the airport I saw Laurence and another friend also leaving with the same flight as mine.

The plane was full and the flight was so far uneventful. We arrived in Newark airport at 4:50 pm and I got segregated for more immigration checking where they interogated me and checked my luggages for any contrabands which apparently they haven't found.

The sad thing was I dropped the painting I bought from Santo Domingo which I ought to give to Ate Loida. Damn!

Since my second leg of flight will be at 6:50 am the next day I decided to look for a hotel to check in for the night to have a comfortable rest. I was still numb from leaving Santo Domingo especially the new friends I've met their.

It's really hard to say goodbye and it's the bittersweet kind of good bye for me because I develop too much closeness for them in such a short time.

I booked myself at Ramada Plaza Hotel to stay for the night and slept my heartaches away. I called back my friends and told them that I arrived safely on the US soil despite the little interrogation and the lost of my painting but everything were okay.

September 8, 2010 (Wednesday): Was the last leg of my flught back to Los Angeles. I woke up early at 4 am after a good night sleep, took a warm shower, boarded a shuttle from the hotel going to the airport, checked in my luggages, passed through the meticulous inspection of the airport entrance, then boarded my plane going back to Los Angeles.

The flight was a six hour flight and it was uneventful. I arrived safely at Los Angeles and took the shuttle back to the house. When I got home I was greeted with one of my car's tire flat.

My heart sank down and was in limbo upon seeing my poor car. I called AAA to changed the flat tire with the donut so that I can drive it to the dealer and have the flat tire fixed.

Despite of the fun and memorable experiences I had in Santo Domingo there's always an exchange for it. And that I never expected to arrive seeing one of my car's tire flat.

But all these hassles couldn't rip off the good experiences I incurred in the beautiful tropical place called Santo Domingo in the country of Domincan Republic.

All these experiences was been etche din my mind and couldn't be stolen by anybody because I myself could only retrieved it form my subconscious mind.

I haven't regret in deciding to go on this beautiful country with all the gorgeous people rich with culture and enthusiasm to extend their hospitality to a tourist like me.

Thank you Santo Domingo..... thank you for the wonderful experiences you've given me. I wish I could be back there someday again.

No comments:

Post a Comment