Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Trip To Santo Domingo (Part 1)

September 1, 2010 (Wednesday): It was a Thursday, the sun was out brightly as I came out from work and hurriedly drove home from my ER work at Long Beach to West Hollywood where I lived.

That day I just finished my third night and I was so tired already but even though it will be compensated well because I will be leaving that day for a one week vacation to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

It was a sweet promise for me after working so hard. A sweet compensation for my dedication and diligence in my job. I am so excited to start the first leg of my trip.

I busted my butt to earn this so I fought myself that day against the fierce traffic of Freeway 405 in order to go home and start packing my luggage. I haven't slept yet but still I have to finish packing my stuff. I just decided to just sleep at the plane.

After finished packing I took a warm bath and changed then I waited for the shuttle to pick me up and drop me off at the airport.

Exactly 11:30 am the shuttle came to pick me up. The feeling inside me was been boiling and roiling not really knowing what to expect for this trip but to visit an orphanage and help elementary students in Santo Domingo to learn a little bit of English while I am learning their native tongue which is Spanish as well as their culture.

After checking in my luggages I went through the stict and meticulous inspection of the line at the airport entrance. The plane left Los Angeles at 3:30 pm and it arrive at Newark Airport after eight hours.

I got stranded there for another eight hours because the second leg of my trip the next morning at 7:30 am. The airport was so eerily quiet and closed temporarily all throughout the night.

I stayed at the airport and tried to sleep for four hours because I haven't slept still since the previous night because I was working. I managed to sleep for a couple of hours at the plane but still it's still not enough to energize me.

When I got at Newark Airport I was so tired and all I need to do is to close my eyes for a while. Despite of the cold and hard vinyl chairs at the airport I still have to steal some much needed sleep because I still have another leg of flight to face the next day.

September 2, 2010 (Thursday): At exactly 7:30 am my second flight started at Gate C112 at Newark Airport. It was only a five hour flight but it seems that it was a long flight.

The flight was turbulent at times but at least non-eventful. We arrived at Santo Domingo International Airport at 11:50 am. The airport was just a small one but it was very clean and welcoming.

The people at the airport were all smiles in greeting the passengers and it was heartwarming to feel. My friend Renato will pick me up but I probably missed him when he was looking for me.

It took an hour for us to recognized with each other. He was there already at the airport waiting for me but for some reasons Renato forgot the banner that contained my name at his car. When he decided to go back at his car and waved the placard then I was certain that it was him.

I approached him and we introduced with each other. I also knew Rafa one of the guy who went with Renato to pick me up.

We immediately hauled my luggages at Renato's car and we headed to the hotel at downtown Santo Domingo. After checking in at the hotel we went to find a restaurant and ate lunch, then we separated each other because Renato will have to pick up some more visitors at the airport.

I went back at the hotel and started to get some rest. I woke up at 7 pm. I then took a warm shower and changed then went down and went to look around the place.

I went to see the famous prison of Santo Domingo during the Spanish period with the help of my guide, Senor Francisco. Francisco also showed me around the whole city showing me some of the strategic places of Santo Domingo and also the famous houses and buildings around the town.

After the tour I paid him well for the good tour and I thanked him for showing me around. It was an inspiring tour. I was so glad I did it during my first day.

I went back at the hotel tired but with a wide smile because I did come to know some of the famous places in Santo Domingo.

September 3, 2010 (Friday): I woke up at 10 am and started to take a warm shower. I then changed and went down the hotel and trekked back the places I went last night for me to get pictures during the daytime.

I did took some good pictures last night but some of them were kind of dark so I decided to regroup myself again and went back to get some picture while it's still bright.

I took some pictures of the famous buildings, tombs, houses, square, hotels, ruins, old churches, prisons, streets, and statues. It was very awe inspiring.

Santo Domingo is a Spanish colony and the primary language is Spanish, of course. The people here were mostly blacks and some were mixed from the Spanish immigrants.

The blending of blood and culture had made the people their distinct color and beauty. It was very inspiring and lovely to know.

Their currency is the Dominican peso and the inflation was too high. Most of the products were extremely expensive to the natives but for a tourist like me it's kinda affordable.

I went back at the hotel at 12 noon because it was so hot already. The tropical and humid weather had gave a toll on me. I was sweating a lot and need to change my shirt.

I called Renato and he told me that he will pick me up at 12:15 pm because we need to go to the orphanage and the school to deliver the school supplies that I've collected over five months and distributed it to the poor students.

We went to pick up Laurence Pinkney one of Renato's friend from Pennsylvania who also went to Santo Domingo to visit the orphanage. I also met Laurence and came to know this very awesome person.

We talked a lot about our causes and we both determined the same mission and goals. We became good friends right there and then.

We passed by the store and bought a sack of rice, beans, and cooking oil that were needed at the orphanage. When we met the amiable lady who headed the orphanage we spoked to her about our sincere intentions and our help.

She showed us around the orphanage and there we meet some of the cute and shy little angels that were housed there. I felt so happy holding them and talking to them. It was a very surreal experience.

We talked to the head and promised her that we will make our best to seek help from our friends in the United States upon hearing that they operate without any help from the Dominican Government and other sectors. It blew our mind how she managed to pay all the people working there. It was really a pity to have known their problems.

After the tour we went to the nearest public school and handed our bags of school supplies to deserving indigent students. We also took pictures from the orphanage and the public school. It was a relief to have done this good act. Laurence, me, and Renato were very happy to have it realized.

After the visitation form the orphanage and the public school we went back to the downtown and hanged out at the Laurence hotel. The day was very fulfilling and I was happy to have participated in these act of goodness.

Thanks Renato and Laurence for all your kindness and goodness. It was great to have known these two most helpful and lovable people on earth with a good heart.

So friends, I have to cut off my blog here. I'll continue part 2 later. I am so tired now and will have to get rest. Once I've get energized I will finish off the rest of my experiences at Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Sorry for making you so excited about the happenings I did there and prolonging your agony and eagerness to hear them. Just hang on and keep your fingers crossing.

Take care and thanks for connecting with me all the way. Love you all people!

No comments:

Post a Comment