Friday, May 14, 2010

Sojourn 7: Sightseeing For Flamingos At Camargue

May 13, 2010: The next day we woke up at around 10:00 am still a little bit groggy and with a hang-over from the previous night's fun and drinking so much wine.

Doreen had planned for us to go to the beach today. Mayra and Manny were also tired from the hard party last night and because they had been working for 16 hours the previous day. But all in all, we were all ready to start the day right.

We each took turns in getting to the shower then prepared to leave to go to Camargue, France, a small town near the Mediterranean to check out some pink flamingos and white wild horses they were famous of.

Manny was our driver that time driving the black 4x4 Land Rover they borrowed form their employer who was currently visiting in London. We missed our first exit that's why it took us almost an hour to get to Camargue which is regularly a thirty minute drive from Aix-en-Provence.

The first stop we did was to check out the chateau called d'Avignon Chateau. The chateau was a small buildng but the interior was very very plush, opulent, and luxurious. The red wall paper and the wood carvings on the wall was fabulously exquisite. We roam around the whole building and checked out all the beatiful features they've showed us.

After roaming around the chateau for a little less than one hour we then continued to drive going to the town of Camargue. Along the way we can see some wild whie horses which is also famous in Camargue.

We then bought tickets at the Ornithology Park to check out some wide array of birds and fowls as well as rodents. The highlight of our visit was to see pink flamingos which herd at the nearby swamps.

I snapped a lot of pictures to document my visit at the park. I really wonder how these flamingos had balanced their weight despite of their very heavy trunks and they can also curl their neck like a professional contortionist from the circus. It was really amazing to see and observe them intently. I really wonder about their existence.

After checking the pink flamingos we then drove to the town of Camargue and roam around the place. We parked the Land Rover near the beach then strolled a little bit at the beach's sand then decided to go to the marketplace and the church beside it.

When we reached the church we went inside to listen for the mass then we went down at the crypt and visited St. Claire (the patron saint of the gypsies) and also lighted some candles for my prayer intentions.

After that we paid a fee to go up to the top of the church to see the aerial view of the place and also took some pictures for my picture documentation. It was a very good experience that day eventhough we started late after lunchtime.

After roaming around we got hungry so we decided to eat first before heading home. We found a little place near our parking lot then we ordered food. I ordered a paella which I had planned to eat before going here and finally my wish was granted.

The paella was very good, tasteful, and a lot but I managed to eat it all because I was so hungry after the long ride and walk. I can't forget eating this very delicious and interesting food.

After eating our dinner we then cooled off  my plan to see a lighthouse because it was already getting dark. We decided to go home to Aix and go at Doreen's other friend named Rosalie.

Rosalie just had a baby two months ago and I got to meet the little child who was very enthusiastic in meeting new people.

When we got there I met Rosalie which Doreen had introduced to me after the mass . We then started the party by sipping wine and kir while I cooked the pig's head we bought at the grocery store the previous day. The gang had requested me to cook "lechon paksiw" for them so I didn't even hesitated to do the honor. So far, it came out good despite of the lack of ingredients such as Mang Tomas sauce.

Apparently Manny got tired and fell asleep so we decided to go home and rest without even have to start the karaoke.

The day was a good day for us. The bright and boastful sun had went out from it's hiding the clear blue skies. France is really a big place to visit but so far I've learn so much about it's deep and very unique culture.

From the wild white horses of Camargue and the intriguing pink flamingos I really had a good day that day. I just don't want to wake up from this very deep sleep and emerged clueless of my surroundings. It's very embarrassing may be.

Oh what a beautiful day indeed! I can't express my happiness to have seen another beautiful place like Camargue. France has a lot to offer and to have met such cool people like Mayra and Manny.

I have to thank my lucky charm to have worked competently that day despite of my very hectic and tiring schedule. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment