Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sojourn 8: Puyloubier and Mount Saint Victoire

May 14, 2010: We were supposed to go to where Myra and Manny work at, which is about 45 minutes drive from Aix en Provence, but apparently it didn't worked out because the car that we're supposed to borrow from Pacita is a manual car which technically I couldn't drive because I don't know how to drive it. I am only used to drive an automatic car and nothing else.

At 9 am,  me and Myra were been dropped off by Manny at Beverly's house because we will be having some hair makeover courtesy of Beverly, while Manny went out to look for a place to hem three of his pants. Apparently Beverly was not home yet so we waited until she and her family came.

Doreen was been left off at the house because she still needs to mow the lawn where the olive trees are located. The grasses there were already knee-high tall so she needs to get rid of them first while we were having our hair done at Beverly's place.

When Beverly and her family came from the market Myra was been served first for re-highlighting her hair, which even came out very good. She looks pretty with it. Then I followed for my haircut. I instructed Beverly to just layer my hair and she did it real good and professionally. I was really impressed with the finished product.

Then Doreen came after lunch followed by Manny and we decided not to come with them because I can't drive Pacita's car back to Aix en Provence. So instead, me and Doreen planned out to go back to Centerville and took a mini-bus in going to Puyloubier going to see the place and also the Mount Saint Victoire which is famous at most of Cezanne's paintings.

The drive in going to Puyloubier was not than long and it took us only thirty minutes to go there via the mini-bus. The road there was very narrow and the sceneries were very good and impressive. We passed by several olive orchards and wide vineyards. Every sceneries were exhilarating and beautiful. We never regretted in deciding to stay at Aix en Provence instead of going with Myra and Manny and going at Puyloubier although it's already late in the afternoon.

The mountains were exquisitely gray and Mount Saint Victoire stood there as ashen-gray as it is and it was very pretty to look at as it was depicted in most of Paul Cezanne's paintings. I can't complain with the beauty it reflected on us as we passed by.

The suburb of Puyloubier is a very quiet place with a closed winery at the mouth of the suburb. The place was sparsely inhabited that time so we took our very limited time walking around the place and taking pictures at the vast vineyards spread all around the place for another round of minibus will be coming to pick us up.

The road was barely noted with vehicles passing by so we exercised our independence to explore the place at our own way because of the not so busy road. It was a very fun experience we had despite of the short notice. We never planned to do this but it was really worth it actually.

Thank God we stayed or else I never had the chance to see the famous mountain of Mount Saint Victoire as described by Cezanne in his paintings. It was awe inspiring although we never trekked the trails up. I was glad I had the honor to see it personally. Maybe next time when I come back I can go up to the mountain and see the church standing there as Doreen had told me.

Had we pushed through at Myra and Manny's place maybe we had also explored another different place and had another fun and unforgettable experience. I totally agree that my vacation was a truly fun-and-experience-rich-and filled getaway which couldn't be bought by money or cannot be taken away from my remote memory.

I was just glad I decided to come here and see the beauty of Southern France especilly Aix en Provence, which is very beautiful and rich with stunning architectures and remarkable culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment