Saturday, January 9, 2010

Listening To Colbie Caillat

I had a very long day yesterday. After my theory lecture with Batch 14 I still stayed at school for three hours to do some paperworks. Checking all the exams and preparing papers and lesson plans for my next lectures and clinicals was even tough. It was so draining and tiring to decide what to prepare. I left the school after clocking more than eight hours of work.

While driving on the slow-paced Freeway 110 going north I was listening to one of the music of Colbie Caillat. I popped two of her CD's that I bought last week when I made some window shopping at the Americana at Brand Avenue in Glendale, CA, in my six CD changer in my car. I set the first CD, titled Breakthrough, on a random mode so that I can just have to listen on her music alone while the changer picks the music randomly.

The first song that played was "Begin Again". What an apt song to begin with. It was kind of slow paced and very sad. Not the right one I expected to begin actually, although the lyrics was kind of sentimental and meaningful. I have few of her songs that I liked most and I wanted to critique them here.

"I can't get you out of the sunlight. I can't get you out of the rain. I can't get you out to that one time. 'Cause you and me are still recovering." the first stanza says. It started real upbeat and searching. I can feel the music's pain. I drove slowly on a packed afternoon rush traffic and was just eased up by her sentimental music from a long day's work. It was so uplifting and sincere.

The refrain says; "Oh, this is not the way that it should end. It's the way that it should begin. It's the way it should begin again." These lines really had touched me inside because the moment she raised her notes for the refrain it caught my attention that the song was very very good. I was so captivatingly drawn to it until the end. It was a very inspiring painful song and full of meaning.

Another stanza that caught my attention says; "See I look you in the morning. 'Cause that's what my mind always calls. And I can't wait to the evening. 'Cause that's when I want you the most." What a catching phrase. Full of longing and love but because of the fighting and separation it was too late to be back on each other's arms again. What a poignant situation to be with. If you could only turn back the time.

The second song that I liked in the Breakthrough CD was the carrier single of the same title. It is a short song with a very powerful lyrics. A slow paced song but full of emotions. I was driving on the freeway and I was so imbibed with it's meaningful lyrics. Colbie Caillat song's are all good. No wonder the girl was been nominated for the coming Grammy Awards as the best newcomer.

The song says; "Why is it so hard? It was so long. I don't know where to start or what to say to you. I've been all alone needing you by my side. But it's not too late, maybe we just needed time. Can we try to let it go? If we don't then we'll never know. I'll try to break through, but you know that it's up to you." It's a song full of questions, full of confusion. It was bursting with a longing to be independent and finding someone's direction.

"We say that time is meant to heal but I still hurts inside. I wish that none of this was real, 'cause were so far behind. You've been all alone needing me by your side. But it's not too late, maybe we just needed time. And I know that our love can grow but this damn river needs to flow. It's time to make a stand, maybe it won't last. But we should take the chance." Very sad and meaningful words which is trying to mend a broken heart but to no avail. It's just empty words for a helpless heart.

Another song that I want is titled Droplets. This is a metaphor song full of meaning also. Like the other song it is also short and slow. I liked it because the beat was kinda slow reggae-ish and not boring. I'm kind of overly drawn into almost all of her music while I am driving. It soothes my fatigue and tiredness while I was driving. I tend to close my eyes sometimes trying to absorb the meaning of the lyrics in me. It really feels good!

Here's the summary of the song; "I'm leaving you, not sure if that's what I should do. It hurts so bad, I'm wanting you but can't go back. Trying to find, find that all elusive peace of mind. Stuck here somehow, shrouded beneath my fear and doubt. And I don't need it."

Second stanza says; "Cause I'm walking down this road alone.And I figured all I'm thinking 'bout is you, is you, my love. My head is in a cloud of rain and the world it seems so far away. And I'm just waiting to fall in droplets, droplets. and I'm just waiting to fall and sink into your skin. You are like raindrops, the raindrops falling down on me."

The third stanza also says; "You left a mark and I wear it proudly on my chest. Above my heart to remind me that I feel the best.When I'm with you and everything is effortless. You know it's true, my eyes are painted in regret. And I don't neet it." Such a beautiful and meaningful song indeed!

Another song that I liked most is titled Falling for You. A very upbeat song and a very famous Colbie Caillat collaboration. It is being aired in some radio stations all the time. I really liked this song because of the catchy acoustics and the loaded lyrics full of love and meanigful words. It melts me inside as I continued driving on the rush hour traffic on my way home.

"I've been spendin' all my time just thinkin' 'bout you. I don't know what to do, I think I'm fallin' for you. I've been waitin' all my life, and now I found you. I don't know what to do, I think I fallin' for you. I'm fallin for you. As I'm standin' here, and you hold my hand. Pulled me towards you, and we started to dance. All around us I see nobody. Here in silence, it's just you and me." A lyrics of crush which ended up in love. A normal feelling all the time which I myself could relate.

The chorus states; "I am tryin not to tell you, but I want to. I'm scared of what you'll say. So I'm hidin' what I'm fellin'. But I'm tired of holding it inside my head." What a game of keeping secrets! Tired of bottling it up inside and it's just about to burst but the fear of knowing what he might say tried to hold her back to tell him what she really felt. I was totally drawn into it and I didn't know I was already singing in my car loudly together with the song. I look like crazy inside the car screaming while singing as if I didn't work the whole day, I'm so hyper.

Another song that I liked among Colbie's collection is Running Around. This song is also upbeat and has good acoustics. I liked it too because of the meaningful lyrics. Here's all the compressed stanzas that I liked and had really caught my attention so much:

"I'm just thinking about the time when I met you. But now I'm thinkin' about how I can forget you. You had my heart from the start but I faded. I needed space wanted someone else. I had to leave you just to realize that I miss you. Now I don't know what I did. I am hopin' that you try to forgive me. Maybe we can fall in love again completely. You had my heart don't you ever forget that. I'm comin' back for it, I promise you. I had to leave you just to realize that I need you. Now I'm changin', I can't take this. I'm runnin' around baby. I'm runnin' around without you, baby. I'm runnin' around all over town. But I look everywhere and no one compares. 'Cause nothing's as good if I'm without you."

In totality, Colbie Caillat's CD are loaded with meaningful songs and lyrics that can even titillate your spirits, jolt your insides, melt your heart, and blow your mind away. I can't wait to focus on the second CD when I have time. It's an inspiration to listen to all of them. I was so lucky to have owned two of her most valued CD. I hope she'll win the coveted Grammy nomination. Good luck Colbie!

No comments:

Post a Comment