Friday, January 8, 2010

All The Right Moves

I was extremely inspired right now. With the outcome of my lecture with Batch 14 today, I was so surprised that I did everything right. It was so uplifting to know that I am that effective, too, in teaching a theory class. I really underestimated myself about that lately.

With my ability to cram all the time I usually gave myself no respect at all for being so hurried everytime I had to do a very important task. I always tend to procrastinate all the time that's why I always ended up so uptight everytime the deadline is near.

Since this teaching class was a big challenge to me, I never imagined I could end up like this. I always tried my best to excel in every way to please my subjects. And good thing I pulled it through even though I over exerted myself sometimes. Hehehe.

Yesterday I was teaching Vital Signs with my new batch, the Batch 14. I showed and taught them the right way and process of taking vital signs. I even supplemented my teachings with a video I collected from YouTube and they really liked and learned a lot from them. They were so elated and happy that they had me as their instructor for the Fundamentals of Nursing. And they were so thankful that I taught them for their own good.

I never knew that I was this good in teaching them. All I know is that I tried my very best despite I was so stressed out all the time. I didn't know how good I am though..... hehehe. But anyway, it's so uplifting to know that they appreciated me and my efforts.

Today, I taught them Personal Hygiene, Bed Making, and Bed Bath. I taught them the right steps for each procedures supplemented by a video demonstration. After that I divided them into threes and had them demonstrate by group each procedures in front of me so that I can correct them on their mistakes and encouraged them to do the right way.

Initially, they were so nervous and anxious during the demonstration process but they were telling me that it's for their own good though. They said that I was so patient enough in teaching them to learn each procedures and they really appreciated it a lot. It really fatten my heart to know that they really liked my teaching strategies and approaches.

As an appreciation each one of them thanked me individually for everything that I did for them. At lunch time they invited me to eat with them because they were celebrating James' and LaShawn's birthday.

I tried my best to draw a line not to be too close with them because I just wanted it to be that way and to stay out of trouble in the future. I just wanted them to keep their respect for me as their theory instructor with no strings attached.  Good thing they appreciated everything that I did and I just wanted to maintain this kind of connection with them. 

Well, I think I inherited my skills in teaching from my loving mom. She was a respected elementary teacher in my hometown. She used to tell me that dedication and hardship is the key to be an effective teacher. Added to that is diligence, loyalty, love of profession, and fear of God. I can't really forget those things that she told me and it's still lingering in my mind until now. That's why I always kept looking this kind of urge and hunger to teach within me. I really owe everything to my dear mom. I missed her so much.

One of my mentor who was very instrumental for me to open and paved my way in teaching clinicals was a very best friend of mine. Her name is Mrs. Sylvia S. Sadang. She was the one who hired me from my teaching job from the previous school that we were teaching at. When the administrator of that school had screwed up with her benefits she transferred to Homestead Schools, Inc in Hawthorne, CA.

Since she was my very close mentor and friend, I owe her a lot for initiating everything for me to start teaching in the previous school. She taught me all the right moves and the right style and approach in teaching students in the clinical setting.

So I resigned from the previous school and decided to follow her at Homestead Schools, Inc. Now I've been here for almost two years now. I finally found my niche in this institution teaching nursing students in paving their way towards attaining their professional goals.

I just can't express my gratitude to my dear Almighty for guiding me in every way and for making me more patient in teaching and assisting these students for their struggles in school. Thank God for everything that you've showered for me. I know that You have always the right reasons for giving me all these challenges in my life and I always thank you for not leaving me alone despite the odds.

I couldn't be more thankful and appreciative about all that had happened to me lately in school. I just can't express the delight in my heart upon hearing all these praises from everybody around me. I was so humbled by it. I know I did it for the students and nothing more. My love for teaching had inspired me so much to take care of delivering my teaching skills in all the right strokes.

It was very inspiring to have received all these appreciations and it really gave me more push and encouragement to do the right thing for all the students. I owe everything to all who in one way or the other had helped and assisted me in paving for my teaching career.

To my mom and to Ate Sylvia thank you very much for all your guidance and support. I owe everything to both of you. To my ever patient director-of-nursing Mr. Alfie Ignacio thank you so much for your trust for me to handle these students.

To all my friends, thank you for your understanding despite I couldn't see and mingle with all of you sometimes. And to all the students of Homestead Schools, Inc., thank you for believing and trusting me in teaching all of you. Thank you all so much for everything and for inspiring me as well. Thanks a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment