Thursday, December 24, 2009

Watching Kooza

Last Friday, December 11, I watched Kooza, one of Cirque de Soliel's touring acrobatic shows. I bought the ticket about a week ago online for the reason that the show will be ending soon in about two weeks so I immediately decided to set a schedule to see one.

Right after I got out of my theory class from school I immediately left the school and brazenly faced the hard-pouring rain and the meadering-irksome Los Angeles traffic from Hawthorne to Santa Monica where the gypsy tent was been set up near the Santa Monica pier.

It was raining hard that time and the road was slickly wet and slippery thus the traffic was irritatingly sluggish. I left the school at 5:15 pm and I arrived at Santa Monica at 7:00 pm sharp.

The parking was even confusing to find so I decided to park near the 3rd Street Promenade and then decided to walk down the slippery overpass bridge crossing the Pacific Coast Highway down the pier's boardwalk.

When I got near the tent, the door was still closed so I decided to browse the open souvenir shop near the cocktail lounge. I tried on some of the displayed masks and had bought the DVD and the souvenir book about the show.

Fifteen minutes before 8 pm the curtain started to open and had allowed audiences from all walks of life to enter the stadium. The stage was situated in the middle of the stadium and the seating plan was even arranged closed together around the center stage. I really got a good spot on the mid portion of the stadium.

Before the show had started some of the show's characters came out and made some effort to meet the audience and started to coach them in heckling and pushing for the show to start. By the time the show started the audience were seated well and focused for the show's opening acts.

After some few dances and some few acrobatic stunts, three contorted ladies came out from a sliding table and started contorting and bending themselves like soft rubbers. It was so awesome to see those three beautiful ladies doing contortion acts and people started to like it. I myself love it so much.

Then the next act was a blonde lady doing a trapeze act. It was funny though because she tossed up her hair like a turkey crown and had even spray-painted it in red. The facial paint even looked awesome. She was flying to and fro all around the stage with the trapeze and do some somersaults and tumbling acts on air. When she did her last act of somersault she made a calculating error and had dropped herself unfortunately. Good thing she had a suspension string on to protect herself from a bad fall. Have she not..... she probably had hurt herself badly.


Next act was a double high-wire act. Four burly well-muscled guys came out with white studded robes on and when they stripped off themselves with the robes they revealed themselves wearing tight white stockings and a G-strings. They went up on a high suspension wire and started to walk across the tight rope doing their balancing acts.

My God! I had probably attained a stiff neck from looking at them and extending my head upwards just watching them doing their balancing acts. They jumped, ran, danced, skipped, rode a bike, and rope-balanced holding a long straight rod across their hands. It was very scary looking at them doing the balancing but at least they did it with finesse unlike the other girl who did the trapeze act.

Then the next act was a unicycle dance done by a couple riding on the equipment and maneuvering it around the stage. They did a lot of lifting and balancing in tune with the music. It was perfectly done and was so timed well with the music. All their acts was superbly done and very difficult to watch especially doing it while manipulating a running unicycle. It was probably the toughest acts I've ever seen especially tossing that scrawny lady up in the air and have her spin then catching her while the unicycle gyrated on stage. Wow, it took a lot of skills to do that stunt!

The clown acts were also hilarious and funny. It also included an audience participation wherein they have made the audience participant disappeared for a while and had him come out later near the end of the show. That really sucks. But I think the participant was also their hired member. Who knows.

The one act that really scared me a lot was the "wheel of death" wherein two burly masked men kept spinning on a spool wheel on each opposite sides while suspended on the air without a net underneath to scoop them and kept the spool roll as fast as they could while tumbling, jumping, skipping ropes, and flying in and out of the round spool. It was an act of kissing death.

The other guy almost fell to the ground. It looks like they were a maximized hamster suspended on air rolling in the spool or wheel. It was really scary and everytime they jumped and skipped the rolling wheel the audience just can't stop screaming to the top of their voice. But in the end they were the ones who had received the loudest clap and standing ovation which even boost their confidence to give a better performance.

The other act done by a petite Asian guy is the balancing of piled up chairs while doing some bending and twisting on the air. That one also had shrunk my guts into a prune especially when he piled ten chairs up in the air on different directions without even falling. It was a very gasping moment for me until the time he started collecting down and dismantling the chairs one by one and finished his scary acts. Another kiss of death performance.Whew that one even had held my breath for a few longer minutes. It was spellbound!

There were a lot of dancing and singing in between which even add up to the spectacular performances. All in all it was a very good and professional show. It's worth every penny of your dollar. Well, what could I say about Cirque de Soliel. They are always known worldwide to promote good acrobatic shows. And it's an honor for me to have witnessed such good shows like this.

After the show, I left the place with a big smile of satisfaction. The drizzle had abated already and had left the road look slick and wet and even slippery. I went home tired but satisfied despite of the long day I had. Thank God I decided to watched the show.

How could I let this awesome show pass? If I was that busy for sure I will still find some time to look for available slot in my skeds just to have it watched. Yeah..... it was very good show indeed.

For the show's website please look Kooza at http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/kooza/default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment