Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Meandering Around The Vicinity

I never believed the old adage that says; "Take time to stop and smell the roses." I mean, who had that kind of time, especially living in Los Angeles, where it was commonplace to work sixty to eighty hours a week? But today I did it anyway....

I was practically walking towards Western Blvd. at 9 pm, which was just a few blocks from my house. The night was eerily cold and windy. The streets were still teeming with a lot of motorist and passersby causing a lot of traffic on both sides of the streets.

My purpose for walking was just to exercise and walk for a few miles around the vicinity. I was so damned bored so I decided to walk around the area. It was a cool time to relax and feel the essence and importance of what they call a day off.

I was been living here since May, near the Melrose Hills area, but I never had the chance to meander around the place. It was a populated area but you can see life oozing everywhere as the business establishments opens until midnight.

The lively flickering and dancing of the myriad colorful neon lights captivated my attention. The intermittent honking of the motorist on Western Boulevard and Santa Monica Boulevard added to the bustle and noise of the area.

The sudden appearance of Mexican food trailers on every corners of the streets also contributed to the constant congestion of the traffic including the people eating out in front and beside it.

Also the passing of the huge double-trailered Metro buses on both main streets and the presence of tens to hundreds of diversified people of Los Angeles; comprising mostly of Hispanics, Blacks, and Asians; trying to catch up for the traffic on their way home and hustling for time to get home had added to the bustle and noise.

All in all the area where I live was a commercial area but apart from the area was a residential place where small old modeled houses lined up on each small streets perpendicular to the main streets. It was a quite housing area despite of the busy main streets and the crime rate was on the mild level.

I like living near the area because everything was so convenient for me. If I get hungry or was just merely lazy to cook I can just walk for a few blocks to get to McDonalds and Taco Bell or can chose with some wide array of restaurants situated around the place. There were a lot of Asian fusion restaurants all around the vicinity and the area was been saturated by mostly Thai and Korean restaurants.

There's a lot of gas stations and convenient stores also around the area so if you need to buy something during the wee hours and feel like dropping on one of them they're there all the time open 24/7.

The best place I go one time at 2 am was the donut shop located a block away from my house. One night I was craving for coffee and donuts, so I immediately get dressed and just walked towards Winchell's Donut Shop and jammed there until I got sleepy. It was so convenient!

Yesterday while I was walking near Santa Monica Blvd, I spotted this adult bookstore just right around the corner so I went in and browsed their wide array of adult videos.

I was shocked to see their various collections of sex videos, toys, and books which were carefully organized according to decades and era. When I browsed the 70's section I was even in awe because they still have some of the classic adult videos I heard from my older cousins and brothers.

Word of the mouth, I was been looking for those videos where I grew up with, that I heard from my older relatives, which was already classified as the classics. And I have this fascination to look for it, especially the video series of Taboo. My God.... it was in that adult video arcade!

I heard how good that classic movie was so I can't help myself to rent it and watch it for the whole night. I even rented the whole five volumes and believe me it was an excellent classic adult movie although the plot was so forbidden or taboo, hence the title.

I am glad I tried to walk around the vicinity where I live. Have I not done it maybe I didn't know what it has to offer for me. At least I have the five volumes of Taboo to feast with my eyes for the whole night and at the same time had known that my area has a lot of things to offer.

I'll just have to have the patience to browse and meander around the vicinity and I will discover what it will offer. They say that if you stay put in your place and not wander around then you will lose a lot of opportunities.

Like me, I've been living in Melrose Hills since May and I just have had the chance to wander around it. Had my feet didn't feel itchy to have a small walk last night I haven't discovered all this various interesting places and business establishments all around me. Good thing I was off last night and made the right decision to stroll around the area.

See how much time I lose before exploring the place? Wow! Seven months.... of lost times. But still it's not too late though! At least I made the right decision to wander around last night or else I never had the chance to savor the opportunities it has to offer.

Life is too short. Wander and explore around for you will know what life has to offer. And I regretted those lost times I've squandered. Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment