Thursday, November 5, 2009

Reality Dancing Shows

I've been an avid fan of two reality dance shows right now on two primetime US television channels. They are the Dancing With The Stars Show on ABC channel and So You Think You Can Dance Show on Fox channel. I've been watching these two shows regularly, but not that too often, the moment they've been conceptualized.

The former was on their season eight now and I've been recording it's shows on my DVR week after week for me to re-run and re-watched it. I still remember it's champions starting from the first seasons. I like the show because it offers a wide array of ballroom dancing and the stars even fascinated me, especially the most handsome one. Hehehe.

I also like their fancy costumes which were sometimes the object of criticisms in some tabloids because of the wardrobe malfuctions that was been reported all the time. But it always amazed me how these professional dancers and the celebrities carry and perform with these costumes baring their nakedness on the national television. It had drawn a lot of fan base actually.

The dances includes the upbeat chachacha, the passionate tango, the waltzy venetian waltz, the romantic rumba, the ever heat-provoking samba and salsa, the up-tempo foxtrot, the bouncy swing and boogie (jive dance), the fast-step quick step, they even added the ever tiring jitterbug and the fierce pasa-doble. It was a wide array of dances to chose from which week after week the television audiences can feast on.

In fact, all the past champions from Kelly Monaco (professional partner Alex Mazo), to Drew Lachey (professional partner Cherryl Burke), to Apollo Anton Ohno (professional partner Julie Anne Hough), to Emmet Smith (professional partner Cherryl Burke), to Kristi Yamaguchi (professional partner Mark Ballas), until Shawn Johnson (professional partner Mark Ballas), most of these champions were composed of professional athletes with only Kelly and Drew as the celebrity winner exceptions.

The three in-house judges from Bruno Tonioli, to Len Goodman and Carri Ann Inaba gave their well-sotted opinions about the dance the celebrities did with their professional partners and then showed their score paddles afterwards to rate the choreography and the outcome of the dance which will comprise half of the percentage scores then the other half will depend on the decision of the voting public. Then the pair who will get the lowest score will suffer the burning red spotlight and will be voted off the next week.

Now that season eight had just kicked off, then more celebrities were been drawn to the spotlight and gradually they were sent home until the show will determine the lucky one who can go home with that coveted crystal ball.

So whoever, will get the top prize I hope they will deserve it. So far I am rooting for the Iron Chef guy to take home the bacon now that my favorite Natalie Coughlin, the swimmer, went home last time. But I couldn't overlook Donny Osmond who's been looking great and improving every week, Aaron Carter who is the crowd's favorite but with his arrogance sometimes he puts me off, and to that sexy lady partnered with Derek Hough, they both look good together every time they dance. So by now, my choice is still hanging in the air.

Last year, I accidentally bumped with the profesional dancers when I went shopping at the Grove Outdoor Mall and I was happy to see Karina, Maksim, Derek, Mark, Tony, Lacy and the host Tom Bergeron along with the previous season's dancers Lil Kim, Lance Bass etc. It was just an accident but I was lucky I snapped some pictures with them.

On the otherhand, on Fox Channel, I've been watching So You Think You Can Dance every season except for the third season. But last summer for season five, I was been a regular. My DVR was always full because of it. I just can't stop re-watching and reviewing every dance choreography and the Finals was a blast. I was happy that Jeanine won despite I was rooting for Brandon but I was happy for both of them. Now they were touring all around the country.

And this fall season, the show just kicked-off season six which I even followed religiously and intently despite of my very hectic schedule in school and in work. For sure my DVR will gonna be flooded again with the recorded reruns of both shows and I have to review them constantly and weed out the old ones to make room for the future features.

So far, I like the rundown of the top 20 because there's a bunch of Filipino-Americans who luckily got included but I was sad that Brandon Dumlao (who was apparently called back to replace a sick finalist) was eliminated on the first show though I am rooting for Nathan Trasoras, Victor Smalley, Ellenore Scott, and Pauline Mata to clinch to the top five. These four were the powerhouse judging that they were so adept in their own genre and were looking good with the other dances. Hopefully one of them will be on the top two, fingers crossed.

The choreographers were even more frisk and fierce lately from Mia Michaels, Stacey Tookey, Brian Friedman, Napoleon and Tabitha, Tyce Diorio, Wade Dobson etc. The judges were even demanding from Adam Shankman, Mary Murphy, and Nigel Lythgoe. I cannot even determine what they were looking from the finalists, but in the end the viewers will have to determine who will stay and who will go home. Then after determining two males and two females to perform their solos then the judges will cut one boy and one girl and send them home packing.

So for now, I will have to continue my constant viewing and monitoring for these two favorite reality dance shows that I like. Thanks for these two giant networks who continued to supply us with beautiful dance shows and I just can't help watching it and liking the dance moves. I just can't help getting jiggy.....Yeah!

2 comments:

  1. Um, Brooke Burke was Season 7 DWTS champ and she wasn't a professional athlete. Professional model and hostess, yes, and she did say she was always good at athletics - gave up cheerleading in order to play on the football team! Obviously a relatively young and/or wimpy team, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction Callie. I missed that, indeed.

    ReplyDelete