Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bayanihan Spirit

I woke up this afternoon at 4 pm thinking that I was off but when I checked my phone messages I noticed that the nursing office had called me earlier that afternoon while I was sleeping soundly and left a brief message if I can come to work extra tonight because they needed extra help in the Pediatric Floor.

I immediately grabbed my phone right away and called the staffing coordinator telling her that I am coming for tonight to work extra. Anyways, I don't have any needed agenda to accomplish for tonight on my day off, so I would rather opt to work extra. That's good for my wallet though.... hehehe.

As I waited for the time to pass by, I clicked on my teevee and watched the TFC TV Patrol World. I'm still stunned and shocked to see that the Philippines was still in chaos until now because of the flooding caused by the two typhoons that had passed the country.

Last week Typhoon Ondoy had caused a lot of damages in the Metro Manila area alone and a lot of our fellow-Filipinos were been affected by the heavy rain and the flood because of the very bad drainage system in the whole city. A lot of people's houses and properties were been affected and damaged badly. Many people lost their houses and some had lost their loved ones.

Then after Typhoon Ondoy, another typhoon named Typhoon Peping followed and hit the western and northern part of Luzon. This also caused a lot of rain in Metro Manila which caused the flood in the area to rise even more and not abate.

I was touched with the struggles of my countrymen in times of this calamity. And the only thing I can do is to participate in the campaign of helping them through donations.

I am glad there's organizations such as the Gawad Kalinga by the TFC Channel where I send a hundred dollar donation from my credit card. I know it was a small amount but I am sure it will help them in a little way. Hopefully, it will help those who were really affected by the flooding especially the poor and indigent ones.

After the afternoon news, I continued watching Balitang America hosted by Ms. Gel Santos Relos which was televised here in the Bay Area in North America. And there I saw how Filipino-Americans all around the United States help out each other to put up a huge campaign for collecting various donations of money, clothing, or goods. May be they were also touched too by the fate experienced by our fellow countrymen.

It was common sense though, that in times of this calamity and distress, people all over the world help hand-in-hand to better the feelings and situations of those who got affected by the typhoon. And people who saw it never ceased sending their precious donations and unselfish help no matter how big or small it was.

Our spirit to extend a helping hand was been in our culture as a Filipino nation. It was been flowing deep in our blood. It is called the "bayanihan attitude" and this really separates us from any other culture or nation.

That's why no matter how bad the situation is, we could always hurdle and overcome them because of our good inter-relationship as a big nation. We never stopped helping though how bad the situation is and how much we struggle to keep our life on both ends. The spirit of "bayanihan" always there to thrive everytime and everywhere.

Hopefully, these trials of our fellow countrymen will be done over time. I hope the government will do its share to help them but it seems that our corrupt politicians made this hapless situation as their agenda to usurp people for their own political interest.

Instead of uniting and setting aside their political interest and ambitions and help our fellow countrymen, our politicians even took advantage of the situation and made it even more complicated by putting and flagging their individual agenda confusing the people and the country as well.

How pathetic to see them helping without showing any ounce of compassion in what they do. It was a blatant show of "walang delikadesa" to our fellow countrymen.

I am so saddened to see this, and I hope it will not happen again. Hopefully, whoever wins in the next Presidential elections I hope that these will have to change.

It's also good to see that our celebrities unite in helping the people by spending their precious time to distribute goods as well as donating their money to help the ones who were affected by the flood. I mean that's the spirit of keeping the "bayanihan attitude" live in the air. At least, in some way or the other our fellow countrymen can feel some little comfort even in a small way in times of this sad event.

Well, I hope this is a wake-up call to our politicians and to all people who can't set aside their vested interests. Even though how bent their mentality is, yet the spirit of "bayanihan" is there to live for and just keeps pouring because people of all walks of life just can't seem to handle the trauma and havoc these calamities had brought in our lives and society.

They say, "What comes around, goes around." and as what the Bible had said, "Whatever you sow is what you will reap." Both these sayings has the same connotation and message, to all the people, especially in the situations like what had happened in our country, the Philippines.

Hopefully, this will be a clear realization for all of us to extend help even though how big or small it was for it will come back to us the biggest.

Thanks to all those who in some way or the other made the lives of those who were affected by the two typhoons a little bit comfortable by putting in their special donations in kind or in deed.

Let's all unite to build our own nation from the dust of sorrow and adversity so that we can rise again as a strong people despite of the very very bad dream that had occurred. Good luck guys.......

No comments:

Post a Comment