Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's That Time Again

Sigh...... (a very deep one).

Well, it's September again. And it's time to renew all my credentials. Every two years I have to renew all my paperworks and credentials at work.

I just had an annual evaluation last month and my Supervisor just handed me the copy of the said evaluation. It seems that I was qualified for a raise this year and I was happy for the trust and confidence my employer gave me.

For me, I think I really deserve this trust and confidence, after working at my company for the full seven solid years. My good nursing work ethics also helped in ameliorating my job and accelerating my nursing ladder.

But in order to continue my work spontaneously I have to renew some of my credentials. For this month I have to renew my Certification for Pediatric Nursing (CPN). I took this exam in 2005 and successfully passed it with flying colors. And now I have to renew it every two years by accumulating thirty continuing education units (CEUs).

CPN was an objective, measurable way of determining a nurse's competency that attests to the achievement of specialty knowledge beyond basic nursing preparation. It can enhance career mobilty, elevate the professional practice and standards for pediatric nursing practice, recognize nurse's special knowledge by employers, consumers, and colleagues, provide national certification credentials to state licensing bodies and employers, and help increase nurse's compensation.

Research has shown that nurses who are certified in their profession received several rewards such as personal growth; recognition; increased autonomy; empowerment; career advancement; increased marketability, higher self-esteem; enhanced collaboration; and financial reimbursements.

This certification was the highlight of my fifteen years Pediatric nursing practice. It proved my professional growth and expertise in working for long years of practicing pediatric nursing as my chosen career field. It stamped my pediatric nursing practice, experience, and skills as my official nursing practice field. As if it is the pinnacle of my nursing practice and career.

In order to complete my CEUs I have to subscribe for a Pediatric Nursing catalogue and choose some topics related to my Pediatric nursing practice. My skeds right now were so hectic because I have to devote four hours daily for reading all this pediatric nursing topics and answer the questionnaires and evaluations.

So that means that I have to set aside my love of reading paperback books and devote my precious time reading and accumulating my continuing education units until I can be ready to renew all my credentials.

This September I have to also renew my Pediatric Advance Life Support (PALS) card. This is also one of my requirement in order to maintain continuity in my work. This card indicates that I am always be qualified to respond to any Pediatric emergencies. And it means reading and reviewing again the PALS manual and the skills until my class starts on the 23rd and 24th of September. Then the card will be handed out after I successfully passed the exam at the end of the second day skills lab.

On Monday I have to attend a class for wound management. This one is an optional class but I opted to take it because I really felt that I needed it in my clinical rounds and exposures with the students in school. This is only a one day class and is not really included in the renewal of my credentials but can add more CEUs for my nuring license renewal.

Recently, I just took the Hospital's Annual Skills Fair and I have to do it online at the hospital. They posted and discussed several topics from Ergonomics, HIPAA, Bioterrorism, Child and Domestic Abuse, Patient's Improvements and Satisfaction, Infection Control, Bioethics and Engineering, Fire Safety, etc. And then I have to take the test after each topic. Fortunately, I passed the exams but the reading took a lot of my time.

Also I scheduled myself for a two-day breastfeeding management class next month which is a mandatory class for all Pediatric and Couplet Care Nurses. My Supervisor scheduled me for October 16th and November 2nd class so I have to open and read a very thick module about breastfeeding management.

Also in October my Registered Nurse License Card will expire so I have to renew it. This one is the most important card to be renewed because without it I couldn't practice my nursing profession.

But I have to complete a thirty continuing education units (CEU's) before renewing it. So it is timely, because I just have read some education units right now in renewing my Pediatric Nursing Certification (CPN). At least I don't have to read another catalogue and pay extra money for it but saved my money instead.

My profession is not an easy job at all. In order to be current, I have to constantly read a lot and continuously learn everyday. And for me, everyday is always a learning process and I never dare to stop and cease learning. I have to improve more on my skills and accumulate more raw knowledge. In that my company will trust me more on my nursing experiences as well as my patients and clients will have confidence on my nursing expertise .

Well, I have so much to do in the coming days and months. So maybe, I have to do it one at a time. For now, I have to take care of this first then I will celebrate later on and do whatever I like when everything was been taken cared of.

I really loved my job and my patients. I was called to do this calling of taking care sick people and to that I will do everything I can in my power to protect my profession.

Thank you very much for your trust and love as well as your confidence for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment