Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Post Labor Day Observations

Every first Monday of September we celebrate Labor Day. It heralds the start of Fall Season and the end of Summer.

People were in a rush to savor the last days of Summer by going outdoors spending time with their family and friends. Some goes out camping or picnicking outside.

Some were just enjoying staying outside their backyard having barbecue and drink ice-cold beer with their family. Some goes to the beach and enjoy the warm waters as well as surfing on the big waves caused by the warm Summer breeze.

Some goes out shopping for the post-Labor Day sale. Some malls send out fliers and catalogues one week early for the sale. Some malls marked down their items to even fifty percent of the original price for post-Labor Day sale for some Fall wardrobes in preparation for the Fall Season.

During Labor Day you can see some appliances being marked down even until half the price. It is really good to buy some gadgets on Labor Day because of the enormous discounted prices.

It was a custom here in the States that during post-Labor Day it is a big no no to wear white clothes and apparel.

I don't know how this came about but I still can remember when I came over here in United States, I was cited by some elderly retirees when I was still living in McAllen,TX long time ago, when I wore a dainty white immaculate shoes past Labor Day.

Here in America it is not a proper etiquette to wear whites after Labor Day but only after Easter Day. The reason for it, I don't know, but may be because of the weather. They were saying that during Fall and Winter Season it is better to wear earthen and darker colored clothes and apparel because of the gloomy weather and rain.

It was good logic though, because if you live in New York and if it is always raining there everyday during Fall and Winter season it would be inapproriate to wear white because it will get caught up with the mud and dirt. Whereas, wearing dark colors will cover it up.

Whites are being worn only here during Spring and Summer Days because of the warm weather. White clothes can absorb the Summer heat well. Light colors are being required to wear during hot weather.

Well, some people and fashionistas tend to repel this notion. I heard and read that Coco Chanel included white colors in her Fall wardrobes fashion shows in the 70's. Even GAP and Banana Republic included white colored wardrobes on their recent Fall collections.

Well as for me, I did nothing on Labor Day. I only went to the Hollywood Hills to feel the last heat of Summer for a while. I was supposed to go with my cousins on a camping trip but I bailed out because I was so tired from working the previous nights. So I did not have any agenda at all during Labor Day. And I am working a day after that so I cannot even enjoy an ice-cold beer and barbecue with my friends.

As Fall season is being felt in the air, I observed some malls and grocery stores adorned with Halloween decorations. I noticed some spooky and horrific decorations around the corner which really marked the coming of the Halloween Season.

Fall season also is the time for Fall Television season. Television stations will start their Fall season shows for air time. And time for me to watch my favorite TV shows such as my favorite show Fringe, Grey's Anatomy, Two and A Half Men, Vampire Diaries, Samantha, The Big Bang Theory, Accidentally On Purpose, L.A. NCIS, Gossip Girl, Desperate Housewives, Weeds, Supernatural, Smallville, The Office, Dexter, Nurse Jane, Project Runway, American Next Top Model, How I Met Your Mom, So You Think You Can Dance, Merlin, Dancing With the Stars, True Blood, CSI Series, Law and Order, etc .

And it's also time for Fall Season movie releases which will be the time for selecting nominations for the annual Oscar's Academy event. I can't wait to see and watch the movie releases. For sure, I will watch some good ones.

As the Labor Day goes, a lot of events follows. There's Halloween, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Day, New Year's Eve and Day, Superbowl, and Oscar's Celebration. Fall and Winter time is loaded with a lot of family togertherness and gatherings.

It's time to take out all those Fall wardrobes. It's time to wear those sweaters and jackets for Fall season. Thermals, boots, jackets, trench coats, gloves, and bonnets for Winter season.

Aaah..... couldn't wait to wear my sweaters and jackets. Can't wait what to expect this post-Labor Day and the incoming Fall Season. Hopefully, it will be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment