Sunday, August 16, 2009

Indie Flicks

Well, I just woke up at 4 am today, and still felt groggy. My jet lag seems easing away a little bit but I feel I still have to recover more energy before going back to work on Wednesday.

I was surprised last night because I went to sleep early at 10 pm. I was watching Filipino indie films when I haven't noticed I already dozed off. My eyes felt droopy from the flickering lights of the television and the boring plot even lulled me to sleep.

I bought a lot of indie films from the Philippines depicting rural and urban lives. The plot was kinda boring but the acting was superb. The dialogues were even excellently scribed and masterfully performed by the actors.

The first one I saw was "Ang Lalake sa Parola". It was a very rustic plot set in a beach lighthouse. The lead actor was cute and performed his role without qualms. He was very professional and natural as well. The story depicts about folklores, stories about fairies, with some secret twist. The insertion of narration was even excellent. Harry Laurel and Justin de Leon performs very well. I got immersed with the story's plot about searching for oneself as seen through the lens of rural gay legends and folklores and the lies that men create to escape the bitter realities of this world.

The second one I watched was "Sikil". It was a love triangle between three friends whom amidst the harsh realities of life stood up together as one in the end. It was about the struggles of life and ones identity, discovering preferences, and maintaining a loyalty-betrayal curve. This friendship was almost perfect but for the choices they have to make, the very choice that is capable of ripping their friendship apart when boy loves girl, girl loves boy, and boy loves boy. A different kind of love that brings on it's true beauty, the deeper meaning of forgiveness, and the joy of letting go. Cute Ken Escudero, dark-beauty Wil Sandejas, and lovely Ashley Silverio were the perfect trio.

The third movie I viewed was "Roxxxane". With a triple x. It's all about making up stories to cover up true identity. It was superbly done and the acting was even excellent. Jay Aquitania acting as Marlon is pretending to collect sexual videos of female celebrities in his mobile phone to lure the friendship of his pedicab driver crush Janvier Daily as Jonas. When a girl named Roxanne rented an apartment at Marlon's family property things happened fast. Marlon met Mary Grace at Roxanne's housewarming and Mary Grace's instant attraction to him leads to her discovery of Marlon's sexual preference. Things get rough when Marlon, in trying to keep his secret, concocts a lie about Roxanne, setting off a series of events that leads to someone's death.

The last film I was watching was "Kambyo". It started when four guys met up at a park for a trip to Northern Manila. They were talking about self discovery and preferences. As they drive their way up north of Manila, this unrestrained group of three friends and a stranger explore the boundaries of their friendships, their dreams, and the future that lies ahead them.

The plot was kinda boring for me with all the conversation and I didn't even noticed I dozed off in the middle of the movie. When I woke up the television was flickering blue-gray lights inside my dark room. I turned the television off and fell asleep.

Right now, I was blogging what I watched recalling those wasted times I did to ease up my jet lag, boredom, and loneliness. It was sort of procrastinating actually because in reality I haven't accomplished anything yesterday but lie down on my bed and rest, watching indie flicks.

Now, I'm almost back to my old routines doing nothing but stay inside my room and be a recluse. I can't wait to go back to work and be productive again.

No comments:

Post a Comment