Sunday, August 2, 2009

Goodbye Nanay

Today was my Nanay's burial. It was raining since yesterday. The skies was so overcast. It was drizzling this morning when we laid my Nanay to rest. At least it was been pushed through even though the weather didn't cooperate with us.

These previous days it was so crazy. The day before the burial was been a maze. The flow of people coming over to deliver flowers, prayers, condolences, and donations just keep coming and won't abate. It was so overwhelming. It was really inevitable and stessful at the same time.

The night before the day of the burial was even busier. It was the busy time of preparation for the next day's event. Some of our relatives were so busy fixing, cooking and preparing things needed for the burial.

Relatives just kept coming and shared their sympathies. Some came to help out for the preparations. Some came to offer prayers and condolences. Some came to just mere spice up the event. Some play cards and gamble. Tables were being laid out for them to play.

I remember when I was little, we used to go to our dead relative's wake. I always observed every time there's a wake we usually play cards with playmates and sometimes cousins. It was a tradition I grow of. Now, I can sill recall it especially right now on my mom's wake.

Today, at least my mom's burial was been carried out well. The mass was a success. People from the barrio including our relatives came to attend the mass.

The small tribute program prepared by my mom's colleagues was also a success. The eulogies touched me so much. It reminds me of my moms kindness and goodness. Previous co-workers, head teachers, and friends offered their impressions of her. I was so inspired by it.

The funeral procession was so solemn despite of the drizzle. People prayed rosary and were praying intently. There were a lot of people parading and participating in bringing my mom to her final resting place.

By the time we arrived at the cemetery it was past noon. We put her down on her grave peacefully. I cried as they slowly lowered her down the ground. I silently said my goodbyes to her and fervently said a little prayer for her. I felt relieved after seeing her lying peacefully under her grave.

The funeral was been a success. I can peacefully think now that my mom is resting well in her grave and I am so content that she is with our Creator. It was a painful goodbye but it relieved me now that she is in God's gracious and loving hands.

Good bye Nanay. May you rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment