Friday, July 17, 2009

My Little Trip to Santee

It's already Friday, July 17th. Two more days then I'm off for the Philippines. I woke up at noon and decided to go to Santee Wholesale District and Flower District to buy some candies and foams for the flowers for my mom's wake.

Santee, is a commercialized area located in downtown Los Angeles. It is divided into several districts like fashion, jewelry, flower, wholesale, warehouse etc. Today, I went to the wholesale district and flower district.

The streets at the downtown is hard to drive because of it's one way street set-up. I got lost because of the turtle-neck traffic so I decided to take the 9th Street alternate all the way to the Fashion district.

Then when I got there I made a left at Maple Street and started to look for the wholesale district. I had an idea where it's at because I knew I passed by that area before but I can't believe I got lost.

But when I arrived there, the parking is hard so I have to drive around for a bit until I got a side street parking for free.

The wholesale district is the area where you can find wide array of things needed for parties, fresh produce, dry goods, etc. You can see some Pinatas hanging up the ceiling luring the passersby. They are of different sizes and colors. It was a beautiful site to look at.

I then looked for a store which sold wide array of candies in sacks. I bought three sacks of assorted candies for only eight dollars all in all. The price differs depending on the kind of candies you chose.

Then I went to the dry good section to by some pistacchios. I bought six pounds of pistacchios and paid three dollars a pound. Here you can see some dried grains and variety of nuts such as pecans, almonds, peanuts, walnuts, corns, dried peppers, etc.

There's also some selections of fresh produce from fruits and vegetables. I bought a box of ripe, sweet, yellow mangoes for my cousin because I decided to go there later on. Everything you want to use inside the house you can find it here. From drinks to even snacks and junk foods, to toiletries. Everything you can name of. And you can buy it in retail or wholesale. How convenient.....

There's also some vendors selling broiled fresh sweet corn on the sidewalks, which even reminded me of the Philippines. Sometimes they coated it with mayonnaise and sprinkle it with chili powder and salt. It looks yummy to eat but I decided to hold off for now because of the current outbreak of swine flu and hepatitis.

The trailer restaurant selling Mexican food at the nearby street is full of customers devouring their food hungrily. The lady grilling hotdogs and buns with sauteed onions and peppers along the sidewalk is also pleading for some passersby to buy her delicacy. The smell of the hotdog is so enticing and the scent of spice makes me salivate. The blairing music at the nearby Mexican store reverberates all throughout the market place. This suggests how busy that business place is.

After seeing to it that everything was been accomplished I then went to the Flower District which is just two blocks away from the area. There you can see wide array of flowers in different varieties, colors, and sizes.

The wreaths and garlands, as well as the vases with intricate floral arrangements inside some stalls looks appealing to look at. Despite the warning signs not to take pictures and even though it's prohibited to take pictures I still managed to take some to be posted at my Facebook account.

I found a store which sells flower foams that I needed for the floweres for my mom's wake. I bought ten of those just in case.

Then I went to the nearby Macy's store to buy for my sister's white blouse which she needed to wear during the burial. I bought her three.

Then I took off to Long Beach heading straight to my cousin's condominium because I promised him that I will stay there for the whole night. But along the way I was craving for some Church's chicken so I decided to re-route my way and passed by Inglewood to buy a box of it and then went off straight to Long Beach.

When I got at my cousin's place my Aunt was there so we decided to chit-chat a little bit and shared the chickens and mangoes that I brought for dinner. After dinner, my cousin dropped off Tita home and I was left here doing this blog.

Oh.... I had another day spent futilely..... doing nothing but passing time until I'll finally embark for my second trip to Passi City, Philippines. Can't wait to see my folks and see my mom lying cold in a casket.

No comments:

Post a Comment