Thursday, July 2, 2009

Labor of Love

Hello guys! I am here again blogging away my thoughts from my previous day experiences.

I was contemplating the other day while I was slicing carrots for my "pansit canton" menu. I decided to cook it for my nephews and nieces. I took over the reins of cooking in the kitchen and I want to do it on my own , alone, trying to show off my talents in cooking which I can really proud of.

I remember when I was a child my father taught me how to help him in the kitchen by letting me slice potatoes or pluck vegetables from its stalks. Also he taught me how to cook rice in a traditional way. As a martinet in the family he wants to be sure that I am able to know all the rigors of kitchen works and this had helped me become an independent person like I am today.

I admire my "tatay's" way of teaching us how to learn household chores at a young age and his patience in guiding us to be a responsible and disciplined child. He is a man with a few words but everytime he utter a word we all listen and emulate him. He set a good example to us. And with his unconditional love to everyone of us I am sure he is admired by all of us.

As I am preparing the ingredients of the recipe I am cooking, I remembered my dad. How he patiently taught me how to slice this and that, how he strictly taught me that every ingredient has to be perfect when I prepare them. I can say that he is partly a perfectionist in his own way. Although he is just human to commit some slight mistakes. But still I always look up on him as I grow up.

Preparing the ingredients and necessary things for the "pansit canton" is so tedious and complicated. I patiently pared the carrots to shape like a star. Cut it so thinly so that it will retain its usual crisp. The cabbage was being selected enough to look green and crunchy. The "Baguio beans" was being de-threaded from its groove so that it will not be stringy. I also prepared the spices and chopped it finely so that its smell, aroma, and taste will be savored excellently. And the premium noodles selected to add for its chewy and starchy flavor. All in all these mixtures of ingredients were chosen with extreme care so that the finished product will be presentable and edible enough as well as taste great.

Preparing, slicing, chopping, mixing, cooking, and garnishing the menu was perfectly done and the effort that I put on was been more than hundred percent perfect and beyond compare. I just want that my immediate family will appreciate my kindness and gratefulness for their presence in my midst during my short vacation. I just want them to taste my "labor of love" in cooking "pansit canton" and for sure they will like it.

And when I reaped their unsolicited satisfaction and approval, the feeling is beyond explanation. Thank God... they sure like it and I feel so fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment