Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Superstitiously Superstitious

Well, it's the month of June again and my mom's birthday month. Belated Happy Birthday mom (her birthday is June 3rd). She's happily 74 years old now and counting (fingers crossed).

Last week, I just saw her online through a webcam set up by my brother. She was a little bit better with the oxygen on, compared to the first time I saw her chasing her breathing and looking very haggard. To all my sibs good job!

Well, the reason I based my story today on superstition is that I have three instances lately that relates to it. I am a person who always believe that everything we do has a reason whether it will give us a bad luck or a good one.

As I looked the meaning of superstitious in the dictionary it states that it is showing ignorance of the laws of nature and faith in magic or chance. Well, may be this is true but what I experienced this last few weeks was been an experience related to this definition. I don't know if I'm superstitious but you'll be the one to judge.

Firstly, on Memorial Day, the day of the Los Angeles marathon I woke up in good spirits early in the morning at 4 am thinking that I have a clinical class in Inglewood, CA with Batch 5. I took a warm shower and left my pad early at 6 am. I didn't know that it was the day of the Los Angeles marathon but if I happened to know it I might be probably get stuck in the traffic if I left my apartment late because the route where I used to take is the route where they have the marathon route. I noticed that the traffic was scarce that day when I was driving at the freeway and all the exits were been blocked. Have I left late then probably the traffic was even hard.

But when I get to the facility site I noticed that there were no students coming after 7 am which is our starting time. Then I realized that may be they were on holiday. Yes, I was spared with the traffic but I wasted my time and effort in getting up early and my mileage and gas because of my negligence to check my schedule or my laziness to pick up my schedules and notices at school. Have I known that, I shouldn't have woke up early and reported to the clinicals.

Secondly, on the end part of May, I woke up late in the afternoon for my work in the hospital. I slept good that day because I was so tired from working the previous night. Although I still have to report that same day for the graveyard shift, I woke up at 6:30 pm and immediately called the hospital that I will be late. I was told by my co-worker that I could just continue sleeping because the census was down and it was my turn to be cancelled. What a good timing! So I went back to sleep and felt refreshed the next day.

Well, my body really knows what will happen that day because regularly I used to wake up early at 4 pm, watch the news and ready my uniform for work. But I don't know what had happened that time that I felt very lazy and tired to wake up early but instead I woke up late and called the unit warning them that I will be late only to know that I will be cancelled. What a coincidence!

Then lastly, only three days ago, I woke up a little late without even knowing what is happening around me. I forgot to open my TV and watch the news. I get-up and hurriendly took a warm shower and changed for my uniform, made some sandwiches for my lunch at work and tucked it in my lunchbox and left drastically.

I noticed that my gas was low so I decided to take another route to work to get my tank filled up. So instead of taking the freeway which I routinely do when I go to work, I decided to take the side streets and just have my gas filled up at the Wilshire Avenue and Vermont Boulevard Shell station then I will take the alternate side street route in going to work.

When I got to the hospital I was told that the freeway I frequently took in going to work and which I will suppose to take on my way to work had a bad accident, wherein an eighteen wheeler truck collided with three automobiles, was been shut down because of the bad accident.

Gosh, I was shocked when I heard it. I felt weak and clammy upon realizing that I could be probably in that accident. I felt lucky that I took the alternate route and was thankful to check my gas and had it filled up because had I waited for the next day to had it filled up then may be I should be in that horrible accident.

Then there I realized that God is still good at me. Although I know He is good at everybody. But I still feel lucky and blessed. That's why God always work in mysterious ways. And I am a firm believer that there is always a reason for whatever we are doing.

Sometimes we have the inclination to do this thing but we ended up doing another thing which is out of the blue turned out to be the right thing. I always have a lot of circumstances like that. And I always believe on my first instinct.

They always say that we have a gut feeling telling us that this thing is right so we have to do it. And in my experiences guts is always eighty percent right. But this doesn't mean to say that we always have to rely on our guts all the time. Thats why we have the wits to think it over and over again if it is the right thing or not. But if my wit doesn't really confirm it then I have to rely on my guts. And it's always right on my part. I know every one of us is different so whatever you believe, believe in it.

We are being brought up differently and that makes you as a unique individual. So either you are superstitious or not it's all up to you. But always remember everything that happens has it's own reason be it good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment