Thursday, June 11, 2009

Foolish Knowledge

Have you ever wonder what happened to those pencil and paper way of computing numbers or sometimes solving it mentally?

As I sat on my chair near my working table at work finishing up my documentations on my patient's charts and doing some computations for my patient's intake and output using a portable calculator from my iPhone, I started to ponder and suddenly realized that I got overly dependent on using this small gadget in calculating numbers.

It was daunting to know that I already forgot calculating these numbers in a traditional and classic way. I even forgot my simple multiplication table already and it took me time to come up with the right answer. Even adding up simple four or five digit numbers was a struggle. What a shame!

When I was a kid mathematics and science were my favorite subjects. I got an A+ in both subjects all through out my high school years. I can even add up using an abacus, which is a device that performs or calculates arithmetic functions manually by sliding counters on rods and in grooves. I can even solve algebraic expressions and problems in my mind without doing it manually on a pencil and paper way. But now gone were all those smart days.

I even developed some shortcuts on how to do calculus problems and I can solve analytical geometry, trigonometry, physics, and statistical problems in a nick of time. But now I have to rely on a specially programmed scientific calculators designed by Texas Instruments using different functions.

Even with my statistical computations with my school work in computing student's grades, I have to depend it on Windows Excel which can mysteriously tally any rows and columns of numbers at a flick of a finger. Then voila..... and the answer will pop-up instantly.

It is ironic that those old method and theories devised and discovered by our scientists and mathematicians in ancient times were all forgotten.

It is a current trend that we can obtain immediate solutions for our numerical inquiries fast at our fingertips by just tapping the keyboard. No wonder the new generations of today are at a higher risk or danger of getting too overly dependent to all these technological gizmos or equipments and at a lost when it comes to computing these problems mentally.

Information and technology can be wonderful tools but don't get so caught up in gaining knowledge that sometimes you fail to put it to good use or even appreciate the wonders of discovering new avenues in solving such numerical questions.

Like me, I even lose my prowess and skills in computing large numbers mentally because I failed to exercise or use it all the time and may be due to my over dependence to these modern technological gadgets. I feel that I get so rusty already when it comes to computation.

As we zoom into the technology age, let us not lose our perspective. As what they say, a glut of factual data and visual experiences does not guarantee an increase in wisdom.

Who knows may be some day these technological advances and innovations will have some glitches. Who knows it will slowly disappear out of the blue and totally gone in the future. Then may be the later generation were not well prepared enough to face the consequences of their ancestors surmounting over dependence with technological advances. Who knows......

No comments:

Post a Comment