Tuesday, July 21, 2020

First Day But Felt Worn Out

Came initially at work, feeling groggy because of lack of sleep. I was off yesterday. I was mainly asleep the whole day and most of the night then this morning I cannot sleep anymore. I was mainly up the whole day and can't sleep anymore and by the time I'm going to work I felt beaten. Haist.

I left the house early at 1810 and arrived at work at 1830. I still have time to rest at the parking lot. I passed by at El Pollo Loco earlier to buy something to eat because I didn't even eat lunch plus also some tacos for my break later at work. At the parking lot I munch some taco chips and guacamole, then chased it with diet coke then enjoyed the churros for dessert.

Then at 1851 I went in the hospital to clock in and attend the huddle. At the huddle we talked about the usual topic like the recent Candida Auris outbreak we have and the importance of repositioning every two hours. Then we heard a rapid response call in Room 34B, then the huddle was off.

After the huddle I headed to the Center Wing where I was assigned and initially on the board I was assigned at 31A, 32B, 33AB, 34AB (34B was just coded), and 35A. Then an hour after I got the report they changed my assignment because 34B was made into a satellite ICU. So I have to pick-up 30A, which is an ex-Covid19 patient who just came yesterday. His Covid19 test here was just done today but he was already Covid19 negative in the previous hospital where he came from. But still he is an ex-Covid19 patient so I won't gamble.

Damn.... this is what I mean happens during my first day. I don't know how unpredictable were my assignments are. I don't know how and what to expect actually. Things changes in any opportune time. It sucks sometimes but what can I do. A job is a job. Things just sucks lately.

I checked out all my patients, made my little notes, passed my IV meds, made sure everything is in place. I thoroughly made my assessments, signed my meds in the MAR, then did the nursing actions for billing and checked all my IV's were patent and working. I also checked the vital signs that my CNA had taken and checked for any abnormalities and artifacts, assisted the CNA for anything, checked the GT residuals if the patients had tolerated their feedings, checked the oxygen concentrations whether trached or room air, etc.

I was assigned to turn at midnight with Ken and found that there was a tear on the G-tube of the patient in 30A so I reinserted a new one and it was successful. I carefully checked the placement and the residuals and checked the belly for any protrusion or swelling and the patient for any intolerance and breathing problems. So far there is none. Thank God!

I took my break at 0145 but I did have any appetite to eat so I went to my car to have a 30-minute nap then after that I just get a cup of coffee and sipped it at the station just to warm and fill my stomach.

As the night had deepened it feels so cold inside the hospital and I feel real cold so I put on my hoodies but still felt really cold so I got another coffee to warm me up. Fortunately, the coffee did some miracle. It warmed me up a little bit and at the same time had made me very hyper vigilant. Hahaha. Then the night continue on form there.

It's just 0313 at this moment of the blog and the night is still young. Four more hours and my shift will be over soon. So far, it is well managed and uneventful. Knock on the wood..... nothing major will happen. Crossing my fingers and toes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment