Friday, December 11, 2015

Piggybacking

Today, I will share you two stories about piggybacking. It is how I called it for a short cut. I hope you know what I mean. It is about work as well, so bear with my stories. I hope you get my sentiments and my emotions. Thank you.

One time at work last week I only worked as a supervisor alone at the facility because my partner was been sick. Imagine admitting seven to ten patients in one shift? It must be so tiring plus the issues in between...... it was very stressful believe me. And those piggybacking issues had add up to the stress I've had.

I came to work late as usual and when I went to the admitting office I was surprised that the board listed eleven patients coming, eight for me and three in CCU and sub-acute. The worst thing is when I know that I am alone. Well, okay, what can I do, it happened already so blessed me Lord.

I went up to my office and read the report of the previous supervisor. And then I made a review of my pending IV antibiotics and made my rounds. After that the admissions kept coming like rain. I was spinning like a wooden top but I still feel relaxed. Then a dilemma arise.

I got a call from the hospital that a patient will be coming from Panorama Kaiser and will be admitted in Rm 332A. I went up to tell the nurse and she told me that that room was been a bedhold room because the patient is in the hospital.

So I was thinking hard and asked myself. What if that patient comes back and the new admission is already here. What will I do? And yes my gut feeling was true. When I came back at my office I got a call that the old patient is coming back.

Now here, the new admit had arrived and had settled in the room. One hour after she called me and demanded that she will be discharge because she doesn't want her room because it is very hot there. Aside from my admissions, this problem had arise. Then of course I am super busy.

I called her doctor and explained everything and good thing he allowed her to go with the promise that he will look for a home health for her in the morning. Then my problem was solved for that issue.

What I mean, admitting shouldn't have put somebody in a room that was already on bedhold because you don't know what will happen in case the patient will come back. And see what happened? I got stuck in the middle. Haist..... And this is a good example of piggybacking story.

Another story had happened today. I came to work late as usual and was told when I came that Room 408A will be picked up for discharge between 1700 and 1800. But then after 1730 the patient was still here. I found out that there will be one coming in that same room from Good Samaritan Hospital and the hospital had already gave report.

Since the admitting had left, the problem was left for me to solve. Seconds later the patient that is coming had arrived but still the patient that was supposed to be discharged was not still being picked-up. I panicked and called my DON and told her about the dilemma. So we came up of a solution but it ended up to another good solution.

Little that I know is that the ambulance that brought the new patient is also the same one who will pick up the one to be discharge. Funny thing is, how will it happen if it is the same room and bed? Ahhhhh.....

So we called the dispatcher of the ambulance to send another transport to pick up the one leaving although it will cost the new one to wait for some more time. Waaah.... but to cut the story short.... we remedied the problem.

Lesson here is that admitting should have not done putting a new patient if the old patient is not being discharged fully because what if the old patient will become sick and that the pick up will be compromised? I mean, they're not thinking well. Haist....

I go crazy with all this problems and I'm super super stressed because I got to do it alone and pronto. Grrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment