Sunday, July 27, 2014

I Am A "Darrenatic"

Well, I am so excited about the turnout of the grand finals for the new reality show "The Voice Kids" in the Philippines. I mean, I was watching this show ever since it started last June and I was so hooked to the kids belting out songs beyond their ages. It was really addicting to watch them.

When I was small I used to watched singing shows on TV. I was an avid audience of the long time show "Ang Bagong Kampeon" held every Friday night. I remember, we don't have TV yet that time and I was just watching it at my uncle's house every eight-o'clock at night. I watched it for a very long time and I had overgrown it actually until it finally died down in the 90's. The show had produced some of the country's famous singers like Regine Velasquez, Geneva Cruz, Donna Yrastorza, and Josephine "Banig" Roberto (who was famous in the international circle)as well as the members of the group "Smokey Mountain" (which popularized the song "Paraiso") which had raked a lot of international awards. Those were the days.

At present, shows like "The Voice Kids" Philippine version was a hit and had generated a lot of buzz in the news mainstream. Even the veteran composer Ryan Cayabyab had commented about the singers and praised the show for developing young talents who had the potential to be future stars and singers. I also agreed with him personally.

The contestants were so good at singing out their songs and had probably made the voters and audiences confused on who's to vote and select to be the grand champion (the ever first one). They all deserved to be in the grand finals and it seems that it was an amazing show.

I was at the clinical site today when I intermittently checked YouTube on my iPhone about the grand finale show because it was held in advance (for about 12 hours) because of the different time zones between the Philippines and Los Angeles. I never blinked my eyes watching the footages on my hidden phone. I was just thankful that someone had uploaded the bits of the show on YouTube.

What really mesmerized me was the performance of a Calgary-born 12-year-old boy who belted out the classic ballad by Basil Valdez "Ngayon" as his coronation song. It was a very sincere and soulful song that I have heard as if he was telling the youths of today that in order to have a change it has to be done right now and by starting it themselves alone. It was a very touching and heart rending performance. The child was extremely very talented and had delivered the song with great clarity and emotions.

In my observation and humble opinion, he has the chops to be the champion because of his profesionalism and readiness to exude the charms of a winner. He was my first bet to win this new singing contest and the ultimate primordial first winner of this newly opened reality singing show for the kids in the Philippines.

What really struck me was his inside humility and outright generosity. There were rumored interviews (I haven't seen the news yet) that if he wins the contest he will donate the money to charity (at the church in his province) and he will give the house and lot to his fellow contestant who is poor, wherein he had developed a filial relationship because they belong to the same coach and team. That gracious act alone had won me over to decide that he is the "champion of champions." Championing humility and charitableness was a class act!

I don't know what will happen tomorrow but I hope he will win the contest and claim the title as the ultimate first winner of the show. I even told my sister in the Philippines to cast my votes for him because I desperately wanted him to win. Hopefully, my votes will him him propel to the top, at the least.

Despite he was a Canadian born Filipino boy he speaks fluent Tagalog which really had amazed me. He also had a history of winning singing contest in Canada which eventually had helped him improve his singing prowess and had made him ripe enough to be an entertainer hence he was dubbed in the show as a "total performer" with gifted talents and good looks. But despite of all these praises and positive labeling he had remained grounded and humble. He never showed over confidence, complacency, laxity, boredom, and gross behavior and attitude during the entirety of the show. He was totally very professional and candid.

Whatever happens tomorrow, I hope he will win the contest and I can't be happier about that. I hope he will claim the top prize, grace some famous shows, and will show more singing in the future. I wish you good luck, my ultimate bet, Mr. Darren Espanto for being the first grand champion (premeditated proclamation) of "The Voice Kids" Philippines. Thank you for sharing your talent to us and for being a proud Filipino. Good luck to you my favorite singer. Have a nice day!

*****

Well apparently this morning I opened my Facebook and the early turnout of the last show came out. Lica Gairanod, a 9-year-old girl, won the contest. Darren Espanto, my bet, just came in second. Lica garnered the most votes among the online and cell phone voters. I felt sad about Darren but oh well there should be a winner and a runner-up. Congratulations to Team Sarah for bagging the first and second prize. Congratultions to Lica and Darren. I'll gonna miss Darren though. Good luck to you idol!

No comments:

Post a Comment