Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Hype About The XXII Winter Olympics

Yesterday was the opening night of the 22nd Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia in the remote Siberian peninsula. Sochi is the summer capital resort of Russia. Situated in the middle part of the vast Ruzzian continent, Sochi has now risen amidst nowhere. I now know that it was the hometown of the famous Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova. Sochi will be in the limelight for three weeks for this 22nd Winter Olympics.

Despite the human rights issues in Russia right now about the treatment of gay people, the olympics in Sochi will be in hot waters. The tension keeps building up as the olympics is approaching and the security around the olympic village was been tightened. The transparency about the issue was been with held but the media were hyped about the topic and for sure there will be a lot of retaliation from the athletes coming from other countries wherein homosexuality was very open. And media just embraced the topic and maDe it even more known on television making challenging the Russian Olympic Committee to implement transparency about the issue due to the worldwide attention that the country had been reflecting about the human rights issues especially among gay people.

Despite the issues I know the Winter Olympics will still b e pushed through. My opinion really is that, no matter what country you came from you still have to respect the by laws of that country because you are not in your own territory. Just like other foriegners who comes to your country and abide the by laws of your country. No matter how great and small your country is we should respect each other whatever belief system you may have. And this should hold true with the current issues about Russia and the olympics. That's just my humble opinion and if you don't like it, I will respect it because that's your belief no pun intended.

Going back to the olympics, well, as a Filipino I am very excited about our lone representative in this Winter Olympics in person of MIchael Christian Martinez who will represent my country in men's figure skating. Knowing that the Philippines is a tropical country and without winter it is odd for us to send an athlete in this winter olympics. In the case of Michael, he is an exception because ice skating is hi shobby and his parents were very supportive of it despite they didn't have any financial help from the government but from the generous Filipinos who followed and support the poor boy. But I mean, this boy wonder is really exceptional in his spins and flexibility.

In just 4 fours he had developed such skill and dexterity to be famous in the future as predicted by some experts. His journey at this olympic was even unprecendented for him because experts had expected him to shine in 2018 Winter Olympics but he got an early ticket for this Sochi Winter Olympics to developed his experience. He is not expected to medal in this experience but it will be sweet if he will at least get one. Let's charge that to "Luck". But I am excite dto see him doing that.

Watching him grow to be a powerhouse in the future makes my heart happy and proud at the same time. I have recorded the program in my DVR and will be watching it on MOnday because I am working this weekend back to back and I can't watch it during this time. But I will be keeping my guard checking the yahoo news or internet news to keep me updated about the opening program.

I saw from the yahoo pictures and video streams that as a lone athlete from the Philippines he has the responsibility to carry the flag proudly as he strode in the olympic stadium and the television announcer had described him as the most srtistic figure skater from the Philippines who came here not just to represent his country but as the first ever man figure skater from southeast asia. That was how special this boy is and we are very proud of him. We just can't wait to see him shin ein the future shattering records as predicted as long as he will be financially supported and his practice will be continuous.

But as a Filipino I am just proud of this boy. His YouTube videos had fascinated me a lot which some experts had said if developed well will be build into a powerhouse. And as I watched I can see a potential in him and the predictions could be true. Who knows. Well, whatever happens I hope his parents will not give up on his dreams and will continue to support him until he gets successful. I mean, they have invested so much for him and now it will pays off because he went to this olympics unexpedtedly early because he has the talent to back him. Good luck to you Michael on your programs next week. I will be watching for you and cheer for you in my living room. Yay!

So far, this olympics gets me excited as well because it's not only happening every four years but watching other countries competing had given me so much pride seeing those togetherness and camaraderie they are showing was very intense. No matter what happen I hope the issue of transparency about individual human rights will be respected and that the games will be a peaceful and successful one. I love watching olympics!

No comments:

Post a Comment