Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Effects Of Jury Duty

Today I was instructed to report to LA Courthouse for my jury duty. I was instructed to report at 0700H and it was still dark when I left my apartment at 0630H. I headed to the Disney Concert Hall where I was instructed to park and I arrived there at 0640H.

I then crossed the street across grand and walked a little bit towards the courthouse which is still close by that time. I walked towards Hill St. because the instructions says that the entrance will be there.

When I got to the Hill St. entrance there was a line already at the stairs and the sign says that they will open the door at 0730H. It was cold at that time and according to the instructions they wanted us to report at 0700H then left us out in the cold because the door will be opened at 0730H. I mean it was so cold and freezing outside and some of the volunteers or potential jurors were cold already. All I have to do is sigh deeply and just keep mum because I don't want to complain.

At 0730H they opened the door and had us lined up at the entrance airport style for the check in. So far I went in without a problem. Then we were instructed to report to Room 253 on the second floor. When I got there I've waited for a little bit and then they started the orientation and then gave us our juror ID badge.

It seems that they were holding us there for so long. We've waited until 0900H and there were no calls. I was kind of bored already scanning my Facebook account on my phone and then depleted my phone's battery. It was really tiring to wait for nothing.

At 1030H the lady called the first group to report at 7th floor and luckily my name was not in that group. After that we've waited again for more time and it was already 1145H, close to lunch time when they announced the second group to report to 6th floor after lunch at 1330H. Apparently, my name was included in that group.

I exited the courthouse and went up to 4th floor to get to Grand Avenue and walked towards the MOCA to look for teh Subway Resto there to eat some sandwich for lunch. It was a hurried lunch because I don't want to get late for the next session. I went back to the courthhouse after eating and waited for the other volunteers at 6th floor where we were instructed to meet.

At 1330H the session had started and the court was opened again. We waited for another thirty minutes and some names were instructed to go back to second floor for further instructions. The ones who were not called were the ones selected. Fortunately, my name was included with the group who's going back to the 2nd floor.

When we got there, we were instructed to sit and wait for further instructions. It's been more than one hour already of waiting and there were no instructions yet. I saw an opportunity to blog so I took this time to compose one hence this blog was made.

So far, we felt like we were on house arrest because we've been here since this morning waiting for nothing. Well, what could we do, this is a responsibility as a citizen of USA so we can't complain. I just can't wait to have this one over and then I will be free of this responsibility for another year for we have to fulfill this responsibility to the country annually.

Right now, I'm still here waiting for the decisions and some more instructions for tomorrow whether to report or not. For the meantime, I have to keep hanging out here and just use my time wisely. In fact, there is nothing to do here other than blog off my apprehensions and misery and maybe my boredom. Hehehe.

Just wishing that I will not be called and hope that this will be over soon. Let's just see what happens next. Pray for me. Well, hope that works....

Addendum @ 1902H: We were dismissed at 1500H and was advised that we are not going to go back the next day. It was the end of our jury duty and that they will summon us again after a year if indicated. At last, this dilemma was over and that the thorn in my heart was already been pulled out. Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment