Saturday, November 2, 2013

Remembering My Parents

Yesterday was the day of the dead in my country and for us Filipinos we always celebrate it annually to remember our dearly departed ones who left us and live happily ever after in the other life. I don't know but it's been our culture to celebrate it every November 1st and I've been accustomed to it while growing up.

Both my dear parents had already passed away and for this day I will remember them as my family will be celebrating the "Day of Dead". Over here in America, this celebration is not being observed. Culturally, only in the Philippines and Mexico celebrate this kind of event.

I remember when I was little we used to go to the cemetery and visit our dearly departed ones, bring them flowers, light a candle, and utter some prayers for their eternal rest. It was a very solemn event but for us kids we make it as an excuse to play and roam around the cemetery and look for our classmates and friends and collect melted candles and make some wax balls. We even were competing to make the biggest wax ball. We also recycle it by using it to wax the manual flat iron to keep it from not geting rusty.

We also go around the cemetery and follow th epriest praying from tomb to tomb and sprinkling holy water. We used to follow the "grannies" or female elders chanting a religious mantra and then laugh at it when it's offbeat. It was a hilarious experience and I missed it a lot. I wish I could go home and experience it hands-on. But it only happens in my dreams I guess.

My parents were a very noble couple. Dad is a very strict disciplanarian. A martinet per se. He was emulated for hus firmness and compassion as a father. He is responsible and provide us financial sustenance for our studies. We don't have to look for a job while going to college because dad always makes sure that all our financial needs were been taking cared of and that all we do is to concentrate on our studies. I consider him the best dad in the whole world.

What I don't like about him is his vices. He is an alcoholic and a chronic smoker which cause a toll on his age at a very young age. He lost his kidney function because of alcohol and was been diagnosed for cirrhosis and end stage renal disease requiring him to have hemodialysis three times a weak. His health had declined so fast and he died at a young age of 55-years-old.

My mom is an elementary teacher and was the most caring mom in the world. She is very supportive to my dad and a very loyal wife. She didn't remarry after dad died and just focused on taking care of us while we were studying as well as taking care of her grandkids after she retired.

Mon was a little overweight and I specifically told her to lose some pounds because of her late age but she was a stubborn lady eating foods that she's not suppose to include in her diet. At a young age of 62 she experienced a bad stroke which took her independence away beacause of paralysis. She got depressed after that and she declined rapidly.

A year later, she suffered a massive stroke which was more worse compared to the first one and had her stayed in the intensive care unit for two weeks. When she got home she was been put on couple of anticonvulsant because of the danger of having a massive seizure due to the effect of the bleeding stroke. She had declined progressively after that until she died at the age of 74-years-old.

I missed both of my doting parents and for this "day of the Dead" I am trying to remember them although I always remember them every day of my life for I could not be where I am without their passionate love for each other. To you both, Mom and Dad, I love you both with all my heart. Rest in peace and I wish you both eternal happiness with the Almighty God. Thanks for your unconditional love and I always remember you both. Take care Mom and Dad. I love you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment