Sunday, July 7, 2013

Weaning Myself From Teaching Theory

Starting this month I told my Director of Nursing at the school not to schedule me in theory because I guess it is not worth to drive that far from Hollywood to Torrance, beat the early morning LA traffic and spend mileage and gas and just being paid for five-and-a-half hours. It was a very tough decision to stop teaching theory but I did not regret it. It was just between practical, economic, and also a health issue I guess.

In as much as I miss teaching theory I have to do it because it is not practical. Gas nowadays were very expensive and my car's mileage was already accumulating as it aged. My boss at the school had deducted 30 minutes from our regular 6 hours alloted time for theory, which I thought was an illegal move because here in California only those who worked 8 hours should have a 30 minute deduction for work mealtimes. It was his ploy to cutback on cost but he never realized that he's already stepping on the teacher's rights.

In order notto argue with him, I decided to just stop teaching theory and just keep my clinical rotation schedule which I get paid for the whole eight hours compared to the theory. The challenge of teaching theory compared to teaching clinicals was very stressful but I love it. And that I will totally miss it this time now that I decided to stop doing it.

I also accepted a part time job at Medical Allied Career Center wherein I was ppromised to teach clinical rotations and theory class as well. At least I get to do it from time to time which in fact was very conducive for my very hectic schedule. I kind of doesn't like the hostile environment in Homestead because of the pressure imposed by the management and the bosses. I am not afraid though because I know I am doing the right thing only.

Well, clinicals for me was very easy because I am good at teaching students with skills and I am adept in maing them learn a lot of procedures they never experience before. I kind of got used to it for a long time and most of the times I got positive reviews from the students and the facility staff which always uplifetd my spirits. It's not easy doing it and I am quite meticulous in selecting my mediums.

Whereas, in theory, it's different because the timing of the assignment is so acute so there is no preparation time to really get ready and gather resources plus making lessons plans is really challenging and time consuming as well although I have no problems devising one. But since the time were cut back I just can't afford driving that long and get stressed with the traffic as well as staying up late in the afternoon justto avoid it and risks getting tired and fatigued which can affect my health very badly.

So these were the reasons why I quit teaching theory and now I am happy that I don't have to get up early in the morning and be paid less time and so I've chose to quit. It was a very difficult decision but I guess I am happy with and contented with it. Thanks to me that I had awakened immediately from those usurping people like my boss in school. At least I got to do it early on. I hope he will realize what he is doing usurping poor teachers by robbing their time and money. I don't know how he got so wealthy taking advantage of people and stepping on their rights.

I still know that God is not sleeping and that God will punish those who are foolish enough to betray other people's trust. I thought right now that it won't work because he has a different religion. Hehehe. But I hope it will, Well, whatever happens, I don't care anymore because I am no longer teaching classroom. Hehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment