Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Visit To The San Gabriel (The Archangel) Mission Church

Yesterday I set out a little trip at the San Gabriel de Archangel Mission Church. One of my ultimate goal for this year is to continue visiting the mission churches here in California established initially by Friar Junipero Serra. I visited three of those mission churches already and knowing about the history of these churches I was fascinated to see them personally by myself and added to that I asked the blessed J. Serra one wish for him to grant me.

I left the house at noontime thinking that the mission church was kind of far from Los Angeles, near the San Bernardino Mountains. Before that, I was looking for my camera but I couldn't find it. In my frustrations, in order not to waste my time, I left the house first to deposit the paycheck I had from last month at the bank and then went back to the house and started to look for the camera.

Luckily, I found it underneath one of the drawers in my cabinet. After finding it I left the house and set off but I decided to pass by Paris Baguette Bakeshop first to buy something to eat because it was already 1200H and then I drove towards 101 South and then took the Interstate 10 and when I was near Alhambra the GPS was telling me to exit at Garfield Avenue.


I didn't know that Garfield is already part of San Gabriel Valley. The San Bernardino Mountains from afar appeared snowcapped from the freeway. It looks stunning on this time of the day. I was fascinated and captivated as well.

Upon exiting Garfield Avenue the GPS was instructing me to drive 1.5 miles more then make a right on Mission Road. After making a right on Mission Road I drove 0.8 miles then I found the mission church right away. I made a left turn at the parking lot and look for a parking space. I parked my car with care at the street and then made sure that every doors and windows were locked.

I then ambled towards the dirty white adobe church and then tried to roam around out there and checked out the facade. It was just a small church but the facade appears larger from outside. The facade covers the entire right side of the church and not the front side. At the west side I can spot the belfry with several small bells hanging among the small arches that constituted the west wing near the altar. It was also similar to some of the mission churches I've visited before.


After finishing roaming around I went to the north side going to the public cemetery built near the church. Near the cemetery was a modern church similar to the size of the mission church. There was a mass there when I tried to open the door so I didn't even bother to go inside the church fearing I will disrupt the mass when I go inside.

I came out from there and just decided to go to the gift shop and purchased an entrance ticket to go inside the mission church and check out the remnants of the old church as preserved by the San Gabriel church organizers. The fee will also help them for the renovation of the church and other internal expenses of the mission churches.

I roamed the garden first which was very clean and have plenty of cacti, fruit trees, grapevines, olive trees, and other crops depicting the agricultural products being produced before there. After roaming the garden I went to the churchyard and saw also a cemetery ground there. As I was reading the inscriptions at the cemetery, I found out that the people burried there were the people who were afflicted by cholera in the 1700s who seek refuge at the church during the old times.


After passing the churchyard I checked out the surroundings which I also noted to have the stations of the cross around the churchyard then at the northwest portion near the back of the church near the altar were the old olive tree and old grapevine was found. There was also a garden there and also a small museum at the side of the altar.

After roaming there I went back to the churchyard and looked for the side entrance of the church for the front door was closed and locked. Upon entering the church I could see the jade reflections of the smoked windows that was reflecting on the cream colored wall. On my right side I could see the beautiful altar reflected with the green and yellow hue of the windows.

The altar was a rectangular wooden cabinet spanning the entire wall of the west wall of the church. It was divided into six several boxed two row partitions with the miniature statues of various male saints and the angel Saint Gabriel (where the church got it's name from) located at the middle partition of the upper row.


The altar appears vintage from where I stood and it looks very pretty reflecting the dancing green and yellow reflections of the colored windows. The church was also very quiet and serene and I seated at one of the pew trying to pray a little bit before I leave.

After the prayer I went outside following the way I took earlier until the gift shop. The gift shop appeared very congested now and people were lining up to pay their entrance fee. Good thing I came there early.

From there I turned around the opposite way and went to see the church's museum but apparently it was closed that day. I kept ambling towards my parking but I saw this nice looking vintage arch across the street so I decided to checked it out, crossing the street, and verify what it was.


It was the Old Grapevine Park where I can see an old grapevine that appears as a big tree now and the vines formed like a roof already. It was also nice and quiet there. I found out that the adjacent building was a restaurant called The Grapevine Room wherein some social events were being held.

At the back of the Grapevine Room was the old San Gabriel Playhouse Theater. There was a very nice big fountain in front of the playhouse and the building was very beautiful also and looks antique. I also took some pictures of the building and then I left and walked towards my parking because it was already due at that time.


When I got into my car, I drove home and thanked God that this visit was uneventful. It was fulfilling to know that I am keeping up my goal with a good start. Who knows eventually all these mission churches will be visited before the year ends. I'm crossing my fingers for it to happen.

It's just refreshing to have a goal like this to tackle just like a resolution we have to accomplish for this new year. Aaah.... it's a rewarding feeling to have them accomplished sometimes... isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment