Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My Second Tympanoplasty Operation

Yesterday was the date of my second tympanoplasty surgery. My surgeon scheduled me to have it after the first successful operation I've had on my right ear. Now he will do my left ear.

The reason he will do it because I have a perforated ear drum which I have incurred when I was still little due to the chronic ear infections I've had. From then I've been suffering some bouts of hearing problems which some times is embarrassing. But because my parents couldn't afford to have it fixed I grew up with it. Despite having this handicap it didn't hinder me to finish college and become a successful nurse right now.

Although the curse of the handicap could not be ignored, I opted to have my ear checked and was recommended to have this operation. The first surgery I had last April was a very successful one and now I am up to my second operation and hopefully this will also be a success. Right now I am waiting to have it started.

I came in early for my preop despite being instructed to come at 1200H yet I came two hours early may be because I was excited to have it or may be I was anxious about it. I've waited there till 1200H and when it was time for me to be admitted I went to the admitting section and started to get my ID band.

From there they guided me to go to the preop room and them have me changed and interviewed me about my health history. After that the nurse started to place an intravenous line on me and started the intravenous fluids and the initial dose of the IV antibiotic. I stayed there and was told that the surgery will start at 1400H.

The wait seems like forever. I wanted to take a nap but I couldn't close my eyes because of my apprehensions. It was already 1400H but nobody came to pick me up. I was thinking may be that the current operation may be had went over their time that's why nobody had picked me up.

At 1430H my surgeon came and checked me out. He also marked my left ear to make a guide as well as it is a hospital protocol to do so. He bade good bye and told to see me later. I thanked him for coming by.

I've waited for another hour and finally I was picked up at 1630H then wheeled to the operating room. The anesthesiologist also came to inject me the sedation then after that I have no idea what had happened.

I woke up at the PACU very groggy and was greeted by this charming and funny African-American male nurse who is cracking up jokes at me. He asked me how am I doing and I told him I'm okay. I asked him what time it is and he told me it was 1920H. He then offered me two small cups of apple juice which I eagerly chugged down then he went to call my ride home to come and pick me up.

Half an hour later my landlord came to pick me up and drive me home. The nurse went ahead to discontinue my IV them I changed with my street clothes and get ready to leave. I felt a little dizzy and woozy so I sat down a little bit while the nurse was getting a wheelchair for me to use when going down the lobby of the building.

I left the hospital at 2010H via a wheelchair in good condition. I never realized it was already night time but the sun was still out outside. Oh my God it was a very long day for me but at least it was a very successful operation.

Upon arriving at my pad Julio helped me go up the stairs and then get settled on my bed. I took one tablet of Vicodin then went to sleep the whole night like a baby for I was very very tired that time. From there I just wanted to rest and couped up all my energy for another day's ordeal tomorrow. Thank you Lord for this successful day. Luv you forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment