Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Lenten Season I Used To Grow Up With


I remember when I was still in the Philippines celebrating the Lenten Season. Starting from Palm Sunday and the whole week until Easter Sunday was a whole day of reflection and recollection for me. It was an eight day celebration for measuring u my faith.

I got to reflect my spiritual and religious affinity to God. Starting from Pam Sunday, it was always a tardition for us to celebrate the coming of Jesus in Jerusalem. We used to go to church and bring coconut palm leaves to be blessed. We use to wave them after th emass and the priest will blessed them depicting what Jesus have done when He was enterng the gates of Jerusalem.

Then the following three days the streets of our town were busy building "Capillas" or little station for the "Via Cruces" on Holy Thursday and Good Friday. It was always a hot summer on those days durig Lenten Season so people are going out in he open tring to explore nature and some gose to the beach or find caves to explore and have fun.

Then on the Wednesday, we used to help decorating the cart for my grandma who sponsored for the "Angustia". We decorated the cart the whole day in preparation for the next day procession around the town and then after that we also helped decorating the "capilla" near our house where the procession will pass during the afernoon. Our "capilla" was the last station of the procession.

The next day on Holy Thursday we attended the afternoon mass at the churchyard recalling the sacrifices of Jesus then after the mass th eprocession starts. The procession covers the whole town imitating the way of the cross. I remember we used to cheat the long way and we used short cuts to lessen our way. People from the barrio went to town to also attend the general procession. It was a long procession and people were intently meditating while walking. It was a very strong sight to see and the exhibition of faith was very powerful.

After the procession we go home and took dinner then we went back to the church plaza and witnessed the re-enactment of "The Last Supper". There were assigned people to act as apostles and the head priest acts as Jesus. There was a banquet prepared and the assigned apostles and the priest dined and ate heartily depicting the last supper that Jesus had with the apostles as stated in the bible. There were a little play being dramatized and some passages form the Bible were being mentioned.

After the play we went to the "capilla" and there we waited for the old ladies to start the "passion" where they chant the verses from the Bible about Jesus' sufferings. Some of us because we were still small and ignorant doesn't know what it was and we were laughing at the old ladies because they sang funny and off beat. We didn't know it was supposed to be sang like that.

After the "passion" food and hot ginger ale were being distributed and we also partake for it even though we did not participae for the chants. Then as the night goes deeper we played on the streets and then started to listen to the stories of the old ladies about Jesus' life and suffering. I missed those things.

On Good Friday me and my mom goes to the church to viist the altar and then do the "Via Cruces" inside the church. I have to also submit myself for confession so that I can repent for my sins and do the indulgences given to me by the priest and be ready for the communion during the mass.

Then in the afternoon we have to attend the mass and another procession around the town is being held. This time the procession was very long because there were a lot of carts of saints participating for the procession. The procession will start at 1800H and will finish at 2100H. Then after that we go home and take dinner and come back to church to line up for the kissing of the cross which the qeueu was very vey long.

After the kissing of the cross we went to the "capilla" to listen for the "passion of christ" sang by the old ladies and then we participate in the chants by reading the verses ahead and the old ladies will chant what we are reading to them. After that refreshments were being served while we listened to the stories told by the old ladies.

On Holy Thursday and Good Friday all the Radio Stations play dramas about Jesus' life and we used to listen to it and cried sometimes. On Good Friday some programs were focused on the seven last words uttered by Jesus and there were reflections and commentaries by the priest and other religious scholars interpreting the meaning of Jesus' last words. It was a very educational program during that time.

On Saturday Morning we woke up and go to church to attend the mass for the Alleluia where in in dramatizes the discovery of Mary Magdalene that Jesus had risen from the dead. There was an assigned little child acting as cherubim singing alleluia foreteling that Jesus had risen from the dead and conquered death and redeemed mankind frm sin. Then after that a mass is being held at the church's plaza.

On Sunday night at 2100H we crowded the church bringing some seeds to be blessed in celebration of the Holy Water blessing and the lighting of the Pascal Candle heralding the birth of the Catholic New Year wherein a new church calendar is being started and the long candle is being lighted. A long mass is being held which lasted until midnight.

To me, I couldn't forget this celebrations I used to do and grow up. It was still fresh in my mind. And that every Lenten Season I am being reminded of my religious tradition and cultural roots. Now that I am away from my town and had lived in the United States for so long I missed all these things I used to do. It was very nostalgic for me to remember all those things that I cannot do anymore because of the distance I have.

The whole week celebration had always reminded me of strengthening my faith and fortifying my relationship with God who send Jesus to redeem my sins. Oh how I wish to be back home again and celebrate the Lenten Season. Hopefully someday I will and I could. 

No comments:

Post a Comment