Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Bumpy Road To Cubilete

FEBRUARY 21, 2012:  From the Church of Valenciana, we left the group and headed to the San Diego Hotel where we were staying. The guy who drove us back to the hotel was extremely drunk and was buzzing while driving us down the hills. He was pretty much hilarious yucking in Spanish and Ricky was been balling from his funny conversations.

We got back at the hotel at around 1710H and then we went to the underground parking and located Ricky's car. We left the city in haste and took the freeway in going North taking the Silao Libre Freeway until we hit the dirt roads going to Cubilete.

While on the freeway we took the Cubilete route which was about 40 kilometers from Guanajuato. The sun was already setting down and dusk was pretty much imminent and rutilant from the horizon.

Ricky was so stressed out trying to buy the time in order for us to get there while the sun is still out but as we drove towards Cubilete it seems that the darkness was slowly closing in. Another set back was the bumpy and rocky road that had been rocking us inside the car and had caused my butt to succumb to soreness. It was a really unforgettable bumpy-roller-coaster ride.

I told Ricky to slow down but it seems that he was really pressured because of the fiasco for the tour we signed in and he really wanted to make amends of the failure, so in order to appease me, he has to bring me to see the Cristo Rey which was one of my goal for this trip to Guanajuato.

I explained to him that it's much better to go there safely by driving slowly rather than rushing in pressure because in the first place we don't have to fight for our time to be there. We were there for pleasure and not to beat the time.

Finally he listened and he slowed down. The drive to the top of the mountain was very scary plus the condition of the stoney and bumpy-rocky road was very dangerous. The winding road in going up the mountain was very steep and there were no rails to protect the vehicle if something happens along the road.

The climb was frightening and very heart pounding. It took us about one hour to get there and by the time we were there it was already dark and we couldn't even appreciate the beauty of the monument because there was no light and the facade appears dark in person because of the imminent dusk that had just settled in at the place. 

The Cristo Rey was standing on top of the dome of a circular chapel which has apparently been open for the mass novena that was just going on when we arrived there. The sound system was blaring loudly when we got out of the car. There were revelers attending the mass novena and the parking lot was loaded with at least seven buses waiting for the attendees of the mass.

Ricky and I went around the opposite side near the entrance of the Cristo Rey. At the back owe saw a huge plaza overlooking the entrance of the small chapel at the base or foot of the monument of the Cristo Rey.

The Cristo Rey was about three storey tall and was been on renovation right now. We can see some scaffolds standing all over it that appeared like shadows in the dark of the night. The statue with his two arms spread apart like he was reaching out to the city was very prominent on this dark night although I couldn't really appreciate his face because it was really pitch dark. There was no spotlight on during that time to illuminate the statue.

We toured around the huge plaza enough to hold an enormous crowd for a big mass and it was very spacious to roam around. There were semicircular covered bleachers with Greek columns surrounding the cream marbled-floor plaza like an arena.  At the center of the plaza was a logo of the Cristo Rey and it's mission carved in Spanish. Too bad I can't get a picture of it because it was really pitch dark.

Around the place where high walls protecting the revelers against the steep ravine from atop and from there you can see the night aerial view of the busy and sprawling lighted streets of Guanajuato and the nearby small town of Leon sparkling like twinkling stars from a distance. It was an awesome sight to look at from where we were standing near the plaza.

I roamed around and told Ricky to meet him at the parking lot trying to visualize the whole place in the dark and feel how awesome it was if we came there in broad daylight. It was really a nice place and the view would be spectacular may be when the sun is out. Too bad we went there at night time but still it was worth it. There were still a lot of people coming there during that time. I can say that at least I know that Guanajuato has a very interesting place like the Cristo Rey to go at.

I am embarrassed at Ricky for pressuring him earlier to bring me here and I cannot forgive myself if something had happened to us during our frightening climb to this beautiful and awesome place. It was a steep and bumpy climb and I can't forget how scary it was.

When I got to talk to Ricky heart-to-heart at the parking lot, I hugged him and thanked him for being nice to me and he was very relieved that I liked it. I thanked him for everything he does and we were okay again.

The night was getting dark and we decided to go back to the city. We drove back the winding bumpy-and-rocky road and I asked Ricky to drive slowly now that he was relieved with the pressure of getting me to the top of the mountain.

The bumpy road seems endless and treacherous because of the fleeting darkness that had covered our visibility and Ricky was been very extra careful in driving the downward incline of the hilly stoney road. Along the road we can see some wild animals like raccoons, foxes, rabbits, and squirrels crossing the street lured by the car's headlight.

The drive down the steep bumpy road took us about one-and-a-half hour, half hour more than the climb earlier. When we reached the mouth of the town of Cubilete we sighed with relief and was pretty sure that we're out of harms way.

We arrived at the city of Guanajuato taking the Silao Cuota Freeway which was even faster compared to the dirt road we took a while ago.

When we reached the city at almost 2100H we were so hungry so we parked the car at the underground parking of the hotel and looked for an open restaurant that time. Good thing there's still some opened establishments and we immediately look for one to quench our hunger from the long scary drive to Cubilete.

I am glad we did this little crazy trip to Cubilete and it had gauge as to where we are at when it comes to our friendship. I can see how composed Ricky was while I was the one who was whining around. I know I can be a pain-in-the-ass to him but he still maintained his composure despite of the fact that I am stressing him out.

He never said anything bad nor complained at something. He still have time to make me calm and laugh or smile from his side jokes and funny gestures. I am very pleased to have him during those stressful times and to me he was my catalyst during those dreadful and frightening trip to see the Cristo Rey from our dark drive up the mountains.

He light up my day all the time and I am glad I found him. Hopefully our bond will become stronger now that I am reunited with him for the second time. The trip to Cubilete had solidify my trust in him and I cannot complain to God and be doubtful of who he is because he had proven me something that I needed to see and feel in person.

Whatever had happened with us in Mexico City after all those doubts I had was all been erased because of what he did on our way to Cubilete when he proved to me that he can bring me to Cristo Rey no matter what will happen be it a bumpy-rocky ride, a winding frightening steep road, the imminent darkness that covered the way, and the treacherous road in going up and down the mountains.

These all had proved to me that I love this man and I will retain him in my heart because he is worthy of it. And I thanked God for giving me the right sign and had made my goal achieved for this second trip to Mexico so that I can find closure with what I  felt for this kind hearted person. Thank you God!

No comments:

Post a Comment