Monday, January 2, 2012

Puebla Getaway

I was enjoying Mexico City to the hilt when my tour guide suggested to have a day at the nearby state called Puebla. I mean he hinted that after we had a very tiring walk at the Zocalo going back from the Turibus ride.

I told him why not. There's nothing I will lose if I tried to do that but I am still wary a little bit because of the warnings I've got from my friends when I left Los Angeles. They told me to just stay within the city and not go out from there because of the bad news about foreigners being kidnapped and given to the drug lords as baits.

I tried to think it several times and I considered the sincerety of my tour guide to not put me into grave harm. I trusted my instincts and I told him only after we go to Teotihuacan where the Aztec Pyramids are then we'll head to Puebla.

He told me that Puebla is the nearest state from Mexico City about two hours drive. And he assured me that I will never regret going there because it's a very nice small city. Well, what could I do but to try it and be o the adventurous side. What will be the purpose of my trip here if I wont venture for a more challenging experience? I hope I wont regret it in the end.

After we went to Teotihuacan and me trying to climb the 255 steps of the great pyramid my body succumb to such soreness I never felt in my entire life. I was so tired but I got the greatest experience of my life. I got to see the sun setting down from the horizon. It was a good feeling.

From there we left at 1700H and drove directly to Puebla. It was already dusk whe we left there and the drive to Puebla was about two hours. It was a very long and tiring drive and we got very exhausted from it.

When we arrived there we immediately looked for a hotel at the downtown section and we were lucky we got this very nice hotel at the heart of downtown Puebla where everything is just easy to ge into. We were so tired and very hungry so after putting our stuff at the hotel room we immediately looked for a place to eat because it will be closing time soon.

I tried the chicken with mole sauce for dinner and I was stuffed. We then walked around the Zocalo Puebla and saw the awesome lights of the streets as well as the lighted facade of the cathedral nearby. Then we headed to the hotel ad retire. My tourist guide appears like a zombie already from driving for long hours.

The next day we woke up early and prepareourselves for the whole day affair. We will check out at 1200H so we decided to put our stuff back at the trunk and then roam around the city until check out time then go back to Mexico City. But first we have to enjoy the free continental breakfast prepared by the hotel for us.

After eating breakfast we never wasted time, so we started to trek the clean streets of Puebla and started our camera rolling. We appreciated the beauty of this very simple college town and very laid back place. We met some very nice and polite people and enjoyed the beauty it has given us.

We then went to the Immaculate Concepcion Cathedral and hired a tour who gave us n extensive history of the church from the statue at the facade until the story of the paintings inside the church. The cathedral was very beautiful and loaded with a lot of art works finds. It was overwhelming to know how it evolves and how the people of Puebla regarded the place as very historical and meaningful to them.

Our tour around the town was short lived because we have to check out at the hotel at 1200H and we have to leave for Mexico City. I vowed to go ack there again and finished off what I left off. It as a very awe inspiring trip which I never regretted. Thanks to my very protective tourist guide.

After checking out at the hotel we then embarked on another long drive back to Mexico City. We left Puebla at 1230H and we took the fastest route going back to Mexico City. The trip lasted two-hours-and-a-half and we passed a lot of beautiful sceneries along the way. But when we arrived at the mouth of Mexico City traffic started to get crowded which took us another thirty minutes to arrive there. We decided to go to the National Anthropological Museum and do more perusing there.

The trip to Puebla was a spur-of-the-moment decision but it was worth it. It was a new challenge yet it was fruitful and productive. I never regretted coming there ad experience another adventure. Oh... Mexico started to enticed me and I don't know how many more places I will see much more than Puebla. That remains to be seen on my next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment