Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Beauty Of The "David Statue"

October 29, 2011: We woke up early in the morning on a cold Saturday morning in Florence. We took our early morning breakfast consisting of croissant, warm coffee, orange juice, yogurt, and jams. Then headed out to the Academia Gallery and lined up for the queue to watch the Statue of David inside.

I was so excited to see it because of the superlatives I've read from the online Wikipedia. We paid 11 euros for the individual entrance yet taking pictures was prohibited so I did not get the chance to capture the beauty of the statue on my iPhone. Doreen had the opportunity to get one.

The marble statue was very tall at 5.3 meters, very robust and handsome. Has curly hair and is very naked. I just can't stop looking at him as if he is real and I craned my neck even longer to appreciate the beauty of it. The pecs, biceps, and abs were very gorgeous, I was drooling inside me already.


Upon seeing the statue I was awestruck at the first glance from the entrance. The hands was really emphasize holding the stone and the sling, standing only with one leg on the left leg while looking handsomely from afar. The lips appears very cute and kissable and the curly hair added more spice to his beauty.

I have to ask myself if Michaelangelo had an inspiration in making him which took about two years to finish at the age of 29. Michaelangelo was a very proficient sculpture during that time already. This is his second statue and the most notable compare dto his first which is "The Pieta" made at age 26 years old.

Because of th wear and tear of the time and because of it's strategic post, standing on one leg, had caused a strain on the statue and was now noted to have a minor crack on the right hamstring which is monitored by a recorder at the back of the affected site.

I was there standing for 20 minutes trying to go around several times stopping at each corner of the statue meticulously inspecting how it was made by Michaelangelo. It looks alive at a closeup and you can see how each muscle was emphasized. From his very odd pose the statue was been emanating a manly physique and aura.

I was even watching him for an hour while I was sitting at the corner. I felt that I might melt the statue because I was staring at him for more than a day already.

It was really a wonder how Michaelangelo carved David from an abandoned marble stone in front of the Duomo during the 1400. Although Michaelangelo wasn't commissioned as the first artist yet his appointment had made him famous because of this very exceptional work of art.

As a Florentine citizen he gave his all for the pride of Florence against it's war enemies. David was their symbol of bravery and wealth based on the Biblical story of King David from the fall of Goliath.

I have th honor to have seen him in person and it was a very unforgettable experience for me because the silence upon meeting him and the gasp when checking him was very candid. Alas.... Florence is such a beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment