Sunday, April 24, 2011

Bittersweet Success

I've been bummed up lately with the idea of working with adult people rather than my usual comfort zone which is pediatric nursing. Doing geriatric care is much much more different than what I used to do.

Since I gave up my long time specialty a year ago I still can't shake off the hardships I've been through just to find another replacement job despite I am still confident doing my daytime teaching job. I think having to face the responsibility of paying two properties in the Philippines had forced me to juggle two jobs just to keep up with my payments and bills.

With the current economic situation here in the United States, facing the wrath of the recession is a big tough job and it's very hard actually. It is not a no brainer task indeed. I have to find a means of looking another alternative for the job I resigned and gave up last year.

I have been accepted in the Emergency room last July last year but it seems that ER is not really meant for me. I was been an object of criticism and ridicule by my preceptor and I ended up failing my probationary period. It even delayed my chances to find an alternative for my resigned hospital job. I was depressed after I got booted out from my probationary period in ER.

But God is good to me. I got hired for a hospice job a month after the rejection. It was tough at first because it requires me a lot of adaptation to get used to this adult care job. It was very different from the one I'm used to do but I had a big fire and urge in me to learn the rigors of the new job.

Now I have to love this new job I got. To me it's just a blessing in disguise to have it in the first place. I was very lucky have land it. I am so blessed that I have landed this job. I felt it was really for me because seeing this elderly people struggling to prolong their life gave me an idea of how they live, feel, and push to make their life meaningful.

I can see their raw testimony in front of me and it really touched me greatly. It was veyr inspiring and heart wrenching. I think this was the awakening God wanted me to see because living in this world is really a tough competition na dit's not very easy. I just can see my life from them full of struggles and challenges.

Having worked with children for eighteen years, I had witnessed the progression of life from the beginning of life until entering adulthood. And now starting to work with older people had gave me the last punch for the missing pieces in my whole nursing experience. It was a sweet realization that my calling was really about the promise of life and what to expect from it.

Working in the nursing home had made me more well equipped on how to deal with people in all walks of life. I was been blessed to have witnessed all of this in my entire nursing career and I feel complete now that I have actually experienced and applied it in my nursing practice.

God always has a reason why I have this and I don't have that. I was just thankful that He did not left me alone and helpless in the desert of confusion and depression. I have those moments sometimes yet I am happy and lucky that I did not gave up in the first place.

I was just so blessed and thankful that I have a job right now. Life is indeed a struggle and we are always responsible of what we decided along the way. So, we must decide wisely and carefully at first because we will suffer if we made a real bad decision. We just couldn't turn back the time and fix that bad decision. It just would not happen.

We should be always responsible of the consequences of our actions. Good luck with all your choices and choose well for there is no easy way to the pursuit of fulfillment and happiness but a wise decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment