Monday, September 13, 2010

Memory Lapse

My day was been a day with a lot of memory lapses and embarrassment. I hope I am not heading to a demented stage. I think I am not ready for that yet.

It was funny because my day was started with a wrong move and a wrong decision. I woke up very refreshed and energized because I slept for more than ten hours after working three days straight the previous days. And I know today will be a more promising day.

I was very groggy when I woke up. Upon realizing that I have my clinicals today I dragged myself unwillingly to the bathroom to take a warm shower in order for me to wake up fully and continue preparing for my activity for the day.

My mind was already set to go to Windsor Manor in Orange County to met Batch 12-B for their clinicals. I didn't know I was looking at the old schedule send to me by my DON and I haven't realized that the schedule was been changed and modified.

I was only gone for eleven days for my vacation from Santo Domingo in Dominican Republic and I totally forgot that the schedule was been changed before I left the country. Unmindful of it, I went directly to Orange County and waited for some students to show up at Windsor Manor.

At 7 am there were no students there so I started to panicked and realized that the schedule was been changed and I forgot to change the one on my desktop with the revised one.

I phoned one of my students and told him the whole scenario and then I left Windsor Manor and headed to Long Beach Care Center where the students were waiting for me patiently.

When I came after forty-five minutes at the facility, they were teasing me that I was already having an Alzheimer's disease after having a two-weeks vacation. I told them that it was just a small mistake and I took responsibility for that little booboo.

I also joked to them that may be I still needed more days for my vacation because I felt at that moment that I am still rubbing my sunblock and feeling the cool crystal blue waters of the Carribean sea. That was just a small escape but it was helpful. We all laughed at the little comic comment.

I couldn't even start to talk seriously and was feeling so out of nowhere when I spoke to them during the pre-conference. I was just not very updated of what had happened from the school lately when I'm gone.

I was totally embarrassed about what had happened and I took the chance to apologize to the students about the little fiasco. I should have double checked my schedule last night before going to bed, that's my big mistake anyway.

At least the day had passed by smoothly, although I made a booboo again today. The students had carried their activities well, medicated some patients, did their individual ADLs, and discussed some common disorders. It was a very interactive day despite of that slight mistake I made first thing in the morning.

It was really unusual to start a day with a mistake but oh well life has to go on. We sometimes fell from our journey but we have to graciously stand up and determined to continue the journey. From there we can learn something from it and swear not to repeat the same mistakes again.

I admit that I am not a perfect person and we all commit mistakes. Mistakes does not happen to embarrass or degrade us. It happens because it can give us a much needed awakening and lessons to spice up our lives. Be it a minor or a major mistake, it's purpose is to educate us on how to approach life in a positive direction not to make us dawdle on it and do nothing in the end.

It was funny though because I tend to make some funny thoughts about the booboo I made today rationalizing to myself that it was may be the first indication that I am getting old. Hahaha.

Although, I might consider that fact but it seems that I am too young for that. May be it is true but I strongly digress the fact because I am still on my denial mode. Who knows I am already having those signs of early senility. Hehehe.

If ever I am, I might probably be more rebellious and retaliatory about it. Why? Because I still have a lot to enjoy.

But they say life has to go on. Whether it is late adulthood or seeing the entrance to senility may be there is some light for it to happen because I know we all go to that stage anyway.

I could not deny the fact that I am getting old. When ever that happens I hope I fulfilled all my goals and my dreams. Ahhh.... life is indeed a continuous process. Nobody can stop the wheel of life from turning but the Maker Himself.

Whenever that happens I hope I'll be ready ro face it. And I hope I would not suffer that much embarrassment as what I have experienced today. I felt like a melting ice cream on the hands of a child or a balloon pricked with the tip of the pin then suddenly popped, disappeared, and scattered everywhere. I just can't pick up my pieces right there and think logically and clearly.

It is pathetically degrading to experience a memory lapse and I know the feeling because I just experienced it majorly today. And until now I have no idea what had happened this morning.

All I know is that I was put into a shameful situation where I have to pick up myself and start anew. It was that same situation that I felt I am an object of mockery and fun and it was a totally embarrassing and forgettable experience. Waaah! And I swear I don't want it to happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment