Friday, September 17, 2010

The Joys of Teaching (100th Blog 2010)

Hello guys! It took me sometime to come back here and decide what to blog for my 100th blog for this year and the 216th blog since the inception of this blog site. I know you were thinking that this blog should be special because it is the 100th one.

Actually, I haven't yet decided what to blog. And I was contemplating on sharing with you my experiences all through out the years for teaching nursing students in the clinicals preparing for their journey to become professional nurses in the future.

My knack in teaching was actually influenced by my beloved mom who was a very respected elementary teacher in my hometown and also by my college clinical instructors who really instill to me how to be diligent and hardworking in my studies. From there I internalized the techniques and the character of being an effective mentor, teacher, and faculty.

I tried out for an interview as a clinical instructor in 2005 at Preferred College of Nursing after acquiring my necessary certifications in teaching students in theory and clinical settings. After that I loved it, was been drawn to it, and still continue to teach until now.

I left PCN because of management reasons and I moved to Homestead Schools, Inc. following one of my mentor from PCN and until now I was been with the same school teaching nursing students in the clinical setting.

I am usually assigned to follow-up students in the clinical setting who are in their Term 4 in the Pediatric, Obstetrics, and Emergency Unit. My specialty is Pediatrics so it was very easy for me to guide them in learning to the best of their capability when they are under my wing.

Clinicals is always fulfilling for me because I get to assist the students on what they want to learn in the unit they are assigned to. And I get to assessed the students ability to do procedures not just satisfactorily but outstandingly and also help them devise and formulate a very effective nursing care plans for their respective clients.

Teaching had gave me a lot of perks most of the time. It made me more confident in answering students questions and made me more knowledgeable of some of the disorders pertinent to the unit we are assigned at.

I am learning at the same time when I am teaching. Learning not just the disorders but also on how to interact with students professionally and guiding them on the right track during their journey to become a professional and effective nurses of the future.

Teaching had gave me a new avenue apart from my hospital job and it fatten my heart to see students coming back and telling me their appreciations and gratitudes to their teachers when they passed their state board exams and land a very promising and fulfilling job. My heart always skips a beat when seeing these thankful and grateful students.

Teaching had also gave me the mindset to be more positive in my outlook as a professional nurse and mentor not just to my students but also for my patients and co-workers as well.

I always tend to make myself worthy of emulation because I know that my behavior and character will embody the school ideals and the past institutions I've been tied up with like my college Alma Mater and my previous employers.

I love teaching and I will continue to impart my knowledge to hungry nursing students who wanted to serve the community with the ideals of a very caring and compassionate nurse. I will always do my best to keep the candle burning and pass on the promises of the pioneers of this noble profession.

I hope this blog had inspired all of you despite I ran out of something to write here. This will made me realized that my 100th blog was so special because I had shared the love of my job and the joys of teaching eager nursing students to be counted in this very respected profession.

Keep coming to my blog site because you all inspired me to put this blog site after all. I hope my mission was clear cut to you and I hope all my contemplations were an inspiration to all of you although some of it was just average and under par.

From the bottom of my heart I thank you all for supporting me on my journey in enjoying the joys of teaching nursing students. See you all again on my next blog.

Happy 100th blog for "Inner Contemplations" and keep blogging to inspire more people who read it. Till we see again!

No comments:

Post a Comment